LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 13 18:31:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 November 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Customs' 2006.11.13 (01) [D/E/LS]

Beste Reinhard,

Du schreyvst:

> On top of it, we
> boys
> had to do a _Diener_ (literally 'servant'), which is to bow. Girls had to
> do a
> _Knicks_, namely to drop a curtsy.
>
> Them were the formal days ...

Maybe it's interesting that people of my Home-Land Kehdingen at those times
didn't teach their boys to make a 'Diener' (but I was taught to do by my parents
and old-fashioned teachers- and I soon refused it for all the rest of my life
when I started into puberty...).
I don't remember what their sisters had to do- I guess they had to make their
'Knicks' to older or very respective people. But I still remember my astonishment
when I saw my female cousins from the area of Lüneburg (a LS-area south of
Hamburg) *knicksen* to nearly everyone, incessantly...

Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm