LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 4 14:48:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 04 October 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.03 (05) [E/LS]

Heather, Mathias un Ron,

as an answer to Heather you wrote about the names for the old Germanic Gods in
continental LS.

To complete this I think we should point out that the English and Frisian
_Saturday_ or _Zaterdag_ is named after 'Saturn', a Roman diety. In the northern
parts of Germany we prefer Germanic-based _Sonnabend_, as Mathias mentioned.

So, Heather, I don't think your theory of greater christian liberality on "The
Island" can be kept...

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.03 (02) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
> This was probably widespread; a 19th C Danish minister on Odense called
his
flock "pagans sympathetic to Christians".<

How many people overtly christian still 'touch wood' ?

Heather

----------

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>But we still have Dienstag (Tiu, godness of war and riping fields),
Donnerstag (Donar, godness of thunder and lightning), Freitag (Frigga,
godness of herths and fertility). Even Sonntag (Day of Sun, literally),
Montag (Day of Moon), Sonnabend (Setting of Sun, literally) weren't
wiped out.<

So obviously these names were no longer considered a risk or an enticement.

L. Saxon _Goonsdag_, _Gauensdag

Can you do one of your usual derivation sketches for us , please dearest
Ron?

I am sure it is NOT linked to English 'goon' !!

Heather

----------

From: 'Mathias Rösel' [Mathias.Roesel at T-Online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.03 (057 [E/LS]

> From: 'Mathias Rösel' [Mathias.Roesel at T-Online.de]
> Subject: LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.03 (05) [E/LS]

> > Some Low Saxon (Low Germany) have _Goonsdag_, _Gauensdag_ and _Woonsdag_ for
> > 'Wednesday'.

> Ossenbrügge/Osnabrück, I believe, and Low Saxon dialects on the Netherlands side
> of the _Pool_, perhaps also some dialects in the Ollenborg/Oldenburg area and in
> Eastern Friesland. It could be due to a Frisian substrate and/or Low Franconian
> influences (cf. W. Frisian _woansdei_, Dutch _woensdag_).

That would be conswevatisms, indeed. According to Bros. Grimm (German
dictionary, Mittwoch / Mittwoche, vol. 6/13, 1884), Mittwoch came in
during the late Old High German period instead of the older Vodenes-Dag.
The latter was still alive in Middle Low German Gudensdach, Godensdach
Gunsdach, Gonsdach, but was replaced during that period by Middeweke,
Midweke (fem.). Obviously, this did not take place all over.
--
Best,

Mathias

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Mythology

> L. Saxon _Goonsdag_, _Gauensdag
>
> Can you do one of your usual derivation sketches for us , please dearest
> Ron?

Sure! Almost anything for you, Heather dearest!

/g/ and /w/ have a long history of being interchanged -- not only in Germanic and
Indo-European but in many, if not all, language families.  I assume that this has
something to do with fricative /g/.  You get it for instance in the related names
"Gaelic," "Gaul," "Wales," "Welsh," etc. In Indo-European it often happens when a
rounded vowel follows.

> I am sure it is NOT linked to English 'goon' !!

Who knows?  The etymology of "goon," "gony" and "gawney" are not known.

The name of the god:

Old English: Wóden
Old Saxon: Wôden
Old German: Wuotan
Old Norse: Óðenn
Proto-Germanoc: *Wōðono-z

The root is supposed to be that of "furious," as in German _Wut_ 'fury'.

Aside from this phonological and etymological thing, here's an Old Saxon
baptismal oath:

Original:

Forsaichistu diobolae?
-- ec forsacho diobolae
end allum diobolgelde?
-- end ec forsacho allum diobolgeldae.
end allum dioboles uuercum?
-- end ec forsacho allum dioboles uuercum
   and uuordum, Thunaer ende Uuoden ende
   Saxnote ende allvm them unholdum the hira
   genotas sint.
gelobeistu in got alamehtigan fadaer?
-- ec gelobo in got alamehtigan fadaer.
gelobeistu in Crist gotes suno?
-- ec gelobo in Crist gotes suno.
gelobeistu in halogan gast?
-- ec gelobo in halogan gast

Translation:

Do you forsake the devil?
-- I (do) forsake the devil.
And all devil worship?
-- I (do) forsake all devil worship.
And all devil work?
-- I (do) forsake all devil work
   and words, Donar and Wotan and
   Saxnot and all those demons that are
   their companions.
Do you believe in God, the Almighty Father?
-- I (do) believe in God, the Almighty Father.
Do you believe in Christ, the Son of God?
-- I (do) believe in Christ, the Son of God.
Do you believe in the Holy Ghost?
-- I (do) believe in the Holy Ghost.