SPAM:: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 5 18:22:40 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 05 October 2006 * Volume 05

From: Henno Brandsma [hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.05 (01) [D/E]

> From: 'Mathias Rösel' [Mathias.Roesel at T-Online.de]
> Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.04 (06) [E]
>
>> From: Henno Brandsma [hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl]
>> Subject: LL-L 'Mythology' 2006.10.04 (02) [E]
>> Frisian is "sneon", not "zaterdag", which is Dutch. Some dialects
>> have "saterdei" (Eastern) but most have "sneon"
>> which derives from "*sinna-ewend" (~ Sonnabend) = the day before
>> Sunday.
>
> May I remark that Sonnabend is not the-day-before-Sunday. It's the end
> of the week, that's why it is called Sonnabend (sun set).
> --
> Best,
>
> Mathias

I have read it goes back to an old Germanic habit of naming days for
the next one, using "eve" or ("evening"):
the expression "eve of the war" etc. also goes back to that.
More on this:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sonnabend

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php\?t=4640 etc...

http://www.behindthename.com/bb_gen/arcview.php\?id=40486

http://www.yourdictionary.com/cgi-bin/agora/agora.cgi?
board=etymology;action=display;num=1066041914

this last thread states that Sonnabend is a loan translation of Anglo-
Saxon sunnan-aefen, even.

I think that the church actually promoted this word: sunday is the
"feast" (festive day), and this defines
Saturday in relation to it.
Samstag is based on the root for "sabbath", as you probably know.

Regards,

Henno

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

I understand that "eve" in names for "Saturday" goes back to Judaism in which a
day begins with evening, hence the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath on Friday
evening (with sundown) and its end on Saturday evening.  This very important
welcome of the Sabbath in the evening was absorbed by the daughter religion
Christianity, and we find vestiges of it in Sunday church services beginning on
Saturday evening ... and in names for "Saturday."