LL-L 'Administrativia' 2006.10.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 19 14:49:18 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 19 October 2006 * Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Our Jonny tells me that he assumes something is the matter with our server, and
he tells me that some people are up in arms about it and wonder if it's personal.

First of all, please *never* assume that it's anything personal if your submitted
posting does not appear.  If anything were wrong with your submissions I would
definitely let you know privately.  I am not in the habit of ignoring submissions
that I receive.  And I am most definitely not in the habit of singling out
certain people to be ignore.  Not a single LL-L member is in bad standing.  (It's
been more than nine years ago that misbehavior occurred.)

Sure.  It's been quiet around here the past few days.  Since no copies of posting
submissions arrived at my private address (sassisch at yahoo.com, which comes via a
different server) I assumed that people are simply not writing, are otherwise
occupied or have just gone into hibernation mode.  After all, I did ask that for
the time being copies of all submissions be sent to the usual address plus a CC
(carbon copy > courtesy copy) to me so I can monitor if everything is all right.
As I said, I received no such copies. (Or did I ask you to stop sending copies
and then forgot aboutit?)

For this reason I am not sure if anything is really the matter with the list
server.  There may be, since Jonny says that he submitted posting unsuccessfully.
 For this reason I am copying Michael Appleby, our technical adviser at LINGUIST,
on this.  I checked the list configuration, and they seems to be all right.

We do receive mail at this address (lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net), albeit junk mail.

At any rate, please (re)submit your postings, and make sure you put
sassisch at yahoo.com into the CC line.  This way I should receive at least one copy
and it will enable me to see if anything is really wrong.

Thanks again for your forbearance.