LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.10.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 17 18:19:47 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 17 October 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Dag, Lowlanners,

on the homepage http://mathieu.phileon.nl/middelnederduits.php of Mathieu van W.
(in his translation of Edward Sproston's original) I found a very interesting
list of LS-loanwords still used in the Scandinavian languages.[Shame on me- I
should have taken a look upon it much earlier...]
Most of them are identical resp. obviously related to modern LS, but i.a. the
following ones I cannot get hand at:

Dan.: _bøssemager_ (D: wapensmid; E: armourer; LS: Waffensmitt),
Dan.: _skrædder_[**] (D: kleermaker; E: taylor; LS: Sniider),
Dan.: _væbner_ (D: landjonker; E: donzel, baron; LS: Odeligen),
Dan.: _alvorlig_ (D: serieus E: respectable, reliable; LS: tou-verlaatig),
Dan.: _dejlig_ (D: plezierig; E: pleasant; LS: pleseyrig),
Swed.: _ur_ (D: van; E: from [and similar prepositions]; LS: van/vun etc.).

[** We use the word 'schreddern' in Standard German, but it's suspected to be a
loan from English 'to shred'.]

Anybody able and willing to try some interpretations?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Jonny.

That pages is Mathieu's translation of Ed's English essay we used to display
under "Lowlands Talk".  For some reason most of the series has not yet made it
back after Mathieu's remodeling effort.

> Anybody able and willing to try some interpretations?

I take a stab at a few.

> Dan.: _bøssemager_ (D: wapensmid; E: armourer; LS: Waffensmitt),

This would be *_büssenmaker_ (German *_Büchsenmacher_ "shotgun maker") if it
survived.  I do believe that it was something like _büssenmaker_ in Middle Saxon.

> Dan.: _skrædder_[**] (D: kleermaker; E: taylor; LS: Sniider),

The Middle Saxon equivalents of the noun are _schrôder_ and _schrâder_, the verbs
_schrôden_ and _schrâden_. Hence the "German" surnames Schröder and Schrader,
which are the equivalents of English Taylor, Tailor, etc. _Schröder_ and
_Schrader_ are still used as nouns in some Modern Low Saxon dialects.

Middle Dutch has the verb _schrôden_ (> _schrooien_, West Flemish _schrooden_).
Middle German has _schrôten_.

> Dan.: _væbner_ (D: landjonker; E: donzel, baron; LS: Odeligen),

>From a word for 'weapon' and '(coat of) arms' -- Old/Middle Saxon _wâpen_ >
Middle Saxon *_wâp(e)ner_ ~ *_wep(e)ner_; Old Nors _vápn_ > Danish _våben_.

> Dan.: _alvorlig_ (D: serieus E: respectable, reliable; LS: tou-verlaatig),

I'm not sure, but I think this comes from Middle Saxon _aluorlig_ (_alvorlig_),
literally "all-fore-(like>)ly", so in the sense of "foremost," "elite,"
"prominent," "dignitary."

Kumpelmenten,