LL-L 'Resources' 2006.10.22 (02] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 22 18:21:16 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 22 October 2006 * Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx [luc.hellinckx at gmail.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Resources'

John,

You wrote:
> Is any of you aware of any books, scholarly treatments or articles
> in scholarly journals concerning the Dutch language in America?
Not exactly an answer to your question, but it may still interest you. I
know of a newspaper in Detroit called "De Gazette van Detroit"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazette_van_Detroit\), published in Dutch
(Flemish to be precise) since 1914. I read they were experiencing
financial problems and the staff is ageing, so its future is in jeopardy.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Theo Homan [theohoman at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Resources' 2006.10.21 (02) [E]

> From: John Duckworth [johncduckworth at yahoo.co.uk]
> Subject: Not sure which category to choose!
>
> Dear Lowlanders!

[clip]

> Is any of you aware of any books, scholarly
> treatments or articles
> in scholarly journals concerning the Dutch language
> in America? I have
> come across some remarks in Mencken's 'The American
> Language', but
> apart from that there seem to be surprisingly few
> sources.
[clip]

Hello,

As you can imagine you are not the only one with a
burning interest in these matters.
But not much is to be found.
When the dutch phoneticians were interested in the
new-dutch in Canada, they forgot about [the north of]
the usa and the nice dutch-speaking appalachians.
I guess the dutch in the appalachians disappeared
because WWII. The appalachians had not many useful
skills for the army -I guess-, except running and
shooting, and -I'm still guessing- so they were to die
in the foremost lines; and did not not survive.
So after WWII mr Volckmann made his 'jersey-dutch'
dictionary [ab.1952?].

I have been looking for this dictionary for quite a
time and still didn't find it.
But let's combine our forces. And maybe now someone in
New Jersey or elsewhere will show up and tell us about
this dictionary, or even better: put this dictionary
on a website.
I myself have much interest in getting an original
copy of it. [And perhaps someone send it to me for the
next Sinterklaas, i.e. the next december 5th :)].

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

Hi John,

Hope these are some help (I'm not sure which period you are interested
in:

Various papers in : Klatter-Folmer Jetske and Kroon, Sjaak (eds.)
1997 Dutch Overseas: Studies in maintainence and loss of Dutch as an
immigrant language

Gehring Charles Theodore 1973 The Dutch Language in Colonial
New York; An Investigation of a Language in Decline and its Relation
unpublished Ph.D. thesis Indiana University

Tebbenhof Edward Henry 1992 The Momentum of Tradition: Dutch
Society and Identity in Schenectady, 1660-1790' unpublished Ph.D. thesis
University of Minnesota

Cheers,

Pat

In message <20061021223549.95878.qmail at web90412.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, R.