LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.22 (03] [E/LS/S/Danish/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 22 20:27:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 22 October 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong' [Dutchmatters at comcast.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.21 (01) [E]

Hi Pat, It is not one poem but stanzas from several poems; and yes they are
all in Dutch! Jacqueline

----------

From: 'Scat' [Scat at cfl.rr.com]

I learned this at home from my mother-a sixth-generation
American of Scottish ancestry
Scott Catledge

For fame and for fortune I wandered the earth
And now I've come back to the land of my birth
I've brought back my treasures but only to find
They're less than the pleasures I first left behind

For these are my mountains and this is my glen
The braes of my childhood will know me again
No land's ever claimed me tho' far I did roam
For these are my mountains and I'm going home

The burn by the road sings at my going by
The whaup overhead wings with welcoming cry
The loch where the scart flies at last I can see
It's here that my heart lies it's here I'll be free

Kind faces will meet me and welcome me in
And how they will greet me my ain kith and kin
The night round the ingle old sangs will be sung
At last I'll be hearing my ain mother tongue.