LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.22 (05] [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 23 00:28:04 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 22 October 2006 * Volume 05

From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Songs' 2006.10.22 (03] [E/LS/S/Danish/German]

Here's my "homesick" song, as sung by Dougie MacLean (althoug I believe it
was written by Dolores Keane)

I dont know if you can see the changes that have come over me
In these last few days, I've been afraid that I might drift away
And I've been tellin old stories, singing songs
That made me think about where I came from
Thats the reason why I seem so far away today.

CHORUS

Ah but let me tell you that I love you,
That I think about you all the time.
Caledonia, your calling me, and now I'm going home.
If I should become a stranger,
You know that it would make me more than sad -
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had.

Well I have moved on, kept on moving
Proved the points that I needed proving
Lost the friends that I needed losing
Found others on the way
I have kissed the ladies and left them crying
Stolen dreams yes there's no denying
I have travelled hard with coat-tails flying
Somewhere in the wind

REPEAT CHORUS

Now I'm sitting here, before the fire,
The empty room, the forest choir
The flames that couldn't get any higher
They've withered, now they've gone.
But I'm steady thinking my way is clear,
And I know what I will do tomorrow
When the hands have shaken and the kisses flown, I will disappear...

REPEAT CHORUS

There's also a song I once heard on the radio, sung in Mecklenburger Platt,
about some Lowlanders that emigrated to America, and the friends they left
behind wondering what on earth they are trying to gain, and reminding them
of all they had lost. I hope to find it again some day, but wouldn't know
where to start looking. I thought of it often during my years of exile in
the USA. The chorus was something like "(name) and (other name), wat wüss du
in Amerika?".

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Songs

Thanks, Gabriele, I love that one too.

Talking about homesick songs that strike a chord despite being from areas other
than one's own, I love "Song for Ireland" and the shanty "The Leaving of Liverpool."

***

Sheet music: http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiFORIRLND;ttFORIRLND.html

Terri Wood: http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/teriwoods-14.m3u
Paddy Kelly: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/paddykelly

Song for Ireland
(Phil and June Colclough)

Walking all the day
Near tall towers where falcons build their nests
Silver-winged they fly
They know the call of freedom in their breasts
Saw Black Head against the sky
Where twisted rocks they run to the sea

Chorus:
     Living on your western shore
     Saw summer sunsets, asked for more
     I stood by your Atlantic Sea
     And sang a song for Ireland

Drinking all the day
In old pubs where fiddlers love to play
Saw one touch the bow
He played a reel which seemed so grand and gay
Stood on Dingle Beach and cast
In wild foam we found Atlantic bass

Talking all the day
With true friends who try to make you stay
Telling jokes and news
Singing songs to pass the time away
Watched the Galway salmon run
Like silver dancing, darting in the sun

Dreaming in the night
I saw a land where no one had to fight
Waking in your dawn
I saw you crying in the morning light
Sleeping where the falcons fly
They twist and turn all in your air-blue sky

***

The Leaving of Liverpool

The Dubliners: http://www.derby.org/realmedia/liverpool.ram

Chorus:
        So fare thee well my own true love
        When I return united we will be
        It's not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me
        But my darling when I think of thee

Fare thee well the Prince's landing stage
River Mersey fare thee well
For I'm bound for California
It's a place that you know right well

Yes I'm bound for California
By way of the stormy Cape Horn
But I know that I'll write to you a letter, my love
When I am homeward bound

I have signed on a Yankee clipper ship
'Davy Crockett' is her name
And the captain's name it is Burgess
And they say she's a floating shame

It's my second time with Burgess in the 'Crockett'
And I reckon I know him well
If a man is a sailor he'll get along
If he's not he is sure in hell

Fare thee well to Lower Frederick Street
Anson Terrace and auld Park-ee Lane
For I know it's goin' to be a long long time
Before I see you again