LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.07 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 7 15:09:32 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 07 September 2006 * Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates [wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.06 (05) [E]

    From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
    Subject: Etymology

    Another postscript:

    _Nap_ (< Old English _hnæp, hnæpp_) in the sense of 'bowl', 'drinking cup',
    including Scots _nappie_ and probably also American _nappy_, is also of uncertain
    origin, though it has cognates in most Germanic languages:

    Saxon: hanap, hnap, hnapp, nap > nap
    Dutch: *hnapp- > nap, nappe > nap
    German: hnapf, napf, naph > napf, naph > Napf
    Old Norse: *hnapr
    Icelandic: hnappur
    Swedish: napper > napp
    Danish: nap (archaic)

    This was adopted into Romance languages:
    Old French: hanap
    Old Provençal: enap

    This was then borrowed by English as now obsolete "hanap."

    Northern English "knap" and "knop" with the same meaning are suspected to come
    from the same source. However, I rather suspect that they are Norse loans (<
    *hnap-r [xnap=r]).

    Funny how etymology tends to snowball! It's like touching a hornets' nest, isn't
    it? (Our Heather knows all about hornets. I hope she's over the aftermath of
    the attack, because the absence of her cherished voice is rather conspicuous.)

    Kumpelmenten,
    Reinhard/Ron

A possible further thread in the weave (pun intended!): OE /haenap/ gives us
modern "hemp", traditionally known more for it's textile uses than its chemical
powers in the North, so maybe a connection there.  And /hanap/ I believe comes
from proto-Gmc /hanapaz/ which, via dear old Grimm, takes us back to somethig
like *kanabos, not a million miles from
cannabis.  So a quick roll-up is as likely a blanket as a smoke.....

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: 'First name Last name' [ezinsser at icon.co.za]

Hi all,

So can one assume there is a connection between *nap* with Schnaps (G),
and A. versnapering (snack), snapery (snack), snoepie (tuck shop/sweet), snapsie
(tot)?

Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: 'jonny' [jonny.meibohm at arcor.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.06 (01) [E/LS]

Beste Reinhard,

Du schreevst

> Ah!!! Ik hev 'n idee ... Neem maal dat wourd "speel" (un "spelen") dat in
> mennig
> een dialekt "spil" ("spill", un "spillen") heett. Wen dat by "scheel" (un
> "schelen") ook so is, den schul dat ook *"schil" (*"schill" un
> *"schillen") geven
> ... un dat givt 't ook. Den dink ik an Ingelsch _skill_, nu mit dat
> beduyden
> "Fertigkeit" un "Geschick", eyrder "ünnerscheyd" un ... "verSCHEEL"!

Bingo! Un denn nimm door man noch tou, wat de Oostfreysen (EFLS) dat _scheel'n_
as "skeel'n" uut-spreekt, denn sün' wii woll all an-langt!

Kumpelmenten un' Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>because the absence of her cherished voice is rather conspicuous.<

July
I burn my cornea on euphorbia juice while weeding
an aunt dies
I tread on the hornet and cannot go to the funeral because I cannot walk
an uncle dies
we have a tyre blowout at 70 m.p.h on the way to the funeral: safely
controlled by an excellent bit of driving by my daughter: we arrive just in
time.
my mother is taken into hospital
my mother comes out of hospital
my husband goes into hospital
August
my mother goes into hospital
my mother comes out of hospital
2½ weeks later my husband comes out of hospital for a month's recuperation.

And that's where we are now - hence the silence!

But needless to say I am reading and enjoying all your posts!

It's been one hell of a summer!

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Wow! Etymological genius seems to be abounding here today.

But first of all our Heather ... Sorry you've been having a bad run, Heather.  I
had a feeling something was up.  I hope both your mother and your husband will
make a speedy recovery and nature's creation will quit conspiring against you.
It's good to know you're watching and listening, though.  Just throw us the
occasional bone whenever you can spare one! In the meantime we'll be rooting
(American) and cheering (non-American) for you.

Elsie:

> So can one assume there is a connection between *nap* with Schnaps (G),
> and A. versnapering (snack), snapery (snack), snoepie (tuck shop/sweet),
> snapsie (tot)?

I think it isn't impossible there's a connection with some of them at least.  I
guess this may be a case of identifying the old, somewhat mysterious prefex _s-_.

Paul:

> A possible further thread in the weave (pun intended!): OE /haenap/ gives
> us modern "hemp", traditionally known more for it's textile uses than its
> chemical powers in the North, so maybe a connection there.  And /hanap/
> I believe comes from proto-Gmc /hanapaz/ which, via dear old Grimm, takes
> us back to somethig like *kanabos, not a million miles from
> cannabis.  So a quick roll-up is as likely a blanket as a smoke.....

Hmmm ... and, if so, this would throw German (*_hanaped_ > _hembed_ >) _Hemd_,
Low Saxon _hemp(t)_ and Dutch _hemd_ 'shirt' in with the mix, since shirts used
to be made from hemp (German _Hanf_).  Proto-Germanic has *_hanpi-z_ for 'hemp',
and, yes, it's clearly related to Latin _cannabis_ < Greek κάνναβις _kánnabis_,
also to Latvian _kaņepes_, Lithuanian _kanapės_, Old Slavonic _konoplja_, Persian
کنب _kanab_ 'hemp'.  But how would this be related to _nap_ as in "drinking
bowl'?  I do know that hemp seeds used to be used to make mind-altering potions,
probably going back to shamanist practices.

Jonny:

> , denn sün' wii woll all an-langt!

Ja, dat het schynts scheeld.

Kumpelmenten,