LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.06 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 7 00:30:59 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 06 September 2006 * Volume 05

From: Tom Mc Rae [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.05 (04) [A]

On 06/09/2006, at 2:37 PM, R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com] wrote:

> The name Napier is pretty common in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as
well.

> Perhaps this was more than you hoped and cared to learn in response to your
question.

Thanks Ron,
all that I'd hoped for plus... Great info.

Regards

Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us
Tae See Oorsel's as Ithers See Us
Robert Burns

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

You're welcome, Tom, and it's always a pleasure to hear from you.

Another postscript:

_Nap_ (< Old English _hnæp, hnæpp_) in the sense of 'bowl', 'drinking cup',
including Scots _nappie_ and probably also American _nappy_, is also of uncertain
origin, though it has cognates in most Germanic languages:

Saxon: hanap, hnap, hnapp, nap > nap
Dutch: *hnapp- > nap, nappe > nap
German: hnapf, napf, naph > napf, naph > Napf
Old Norse: *hnapr
Icelandic: hnappur
Swedish: napper > napp
Danish: nap (archaic)

This was adopted into Romance languages:
Old French: hanap
Old Provençal: enap

This was then borrowed by English as now obsolete "hanap."

Northern English "knap" and "knop" with the same meaning are suspected to come
from the same source.  However, I rather suspect that they are Norse loans (<
*hnap-r  [xnap=r]).

Funny how etymology tends to snowball!  It's like touching a hornets' nest, isn't
it?  (Our Heather knows all about hornets.  I hope she's over the aftermath of
the attack, because the absence of her cherished voice is rather conspicuous.)

Kumpelmenten,