LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.09.18 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 20 00:45:53 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 19 September 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Scat' [Scat at cfl.rr.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.09.18 (01) [E]

I tracked my baby daughter's speech in a notebook, starting with
her first babblings. She included all common pronunciations of
consonants in European languages, including the single tap r, the
rolled r, and the uvular r and well as dental/aveolar and released/
unreleased consonants and all of the vowel sounds as well as the
clicks of Hottentot. I encouraged her by speaking French one day
and Spanish the next. Her mother was with her all day long and spoke
nothing but English to her; therefore, her growth in English was not
stunted. She had trouble with {asks}, {asked}, and {spaghetti}. She
12 months old before the mastered those consonant clusters. My oldest
boy (two years younger) had the same successes and difficulties.
Scott Catledge