LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.09.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 20 22:38:31 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 20 September 2006 * Volume 04

From: Paul Tatum [ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.09.18 (02) [D/E]

Hi Ron

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Paul, I, too, used to assume that the said letters stood for interdentals in
> Gaulish. However, lately I have been reading here and there that it is now
> assumed that they stood for /ts/, etc., which surprises me given that there is a
> Greek letter for this affricate.

Yes I just looked at the article on Gaulish in the Wikipedia (source of
all knowledge and nonsense that it is :)), and it too says that they
represented /ts/. It also surprises me, but learn something new every
day, eh?

Paul Tatum

----------

From: Paul Tatum [ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.09.20 (03) [E/F/LS]

Hi Henno,

>> examples of this from around the world, and in that sense it not a
>> change to which a lot of weight can be attached (as opposed say to the
>> change of /D/ to /l/ in Frisian, which is a lot more unusual).
>
> What change from /D/ to /l/ are you talking about? In what variety of
> Frisian? Examples?

According to the chapter on Frisian in "The Germanic Languages" ed.
Koenig and Van Der Auwera: "The dialect of Söl retained the voiced
alveolar fricative ([Ä‘]) up to this century. In word-final position [Ä‘]
has changed to [r] (cf biir 'both'); intervocalically [Ä‘] has become [l]
or [r], although it is still written <đ>: faađer, 'father', bröđer
'brother'." (page 529).

Of course, you're Frisian, mine's a book, you may know better....

Paul Tatum