LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.09.27 (3) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 27 20:16:18 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 27 September 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Stellingwerfs Eigen' [info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Heather wrote:
> It is all grist to the mill and v v interesting and helpful .........
> But could I beg a full/corrected translation of the following from Piet
> In et Stellingwarfs woordeboek staon wel hiel wat naemen van leeg
> (grös/huj)laand. Ik hoop daj'd'r wat mit kunnen.
> In Stellingwarfs dictionary stand /are ? names/words?
> of meadow ( grass / hay) land. I hope you find them useful ( you can do
> something with them)
Your translation is almost 100% perfect!

Our Stellingwarf (50.000 inhabitants) is enclosed between two very tiny
parallel streaming rivers,
Kuunder (Nl. Tjonger) (
http://www.stellingwerven.dds.nl/toerisme/tjonger/Tjonger.htm ) and
Lende (Nl. Linde) (
http://www.stellingwerven.dds.nl/toerisme/linde/Linde.htm ) and has a very
poor sand and moor ground. Right in de middle between those two rivers there
is some highland appropriate for the grow off potato's, vegetables, and so
on. Slanting to the rivershores there is de lowland/meadow almost only
suitable for grass/hay (hujlaand). Inhabitants of our region where quite
poor little farmers, those days with on average 5 or 6 cows, 1 (work)horse,
2 or 3 pigs, 10 chicken and usual 1 wife...! I'll tell you this just to say
that our dictionary is full of simple words in use by those casual people.
Any detail of a little farmyard is described but no f.i. medical, economic,
philosofic or any science. Unfortunately, there is no etymology in it.

> I'm still trying to pick up all the Lowland languages...
Okay, next time in LS-Stellingwarfs again..;-)
Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult