LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 07:11:03 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.31 (02) [E]

> From:  "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.30 (02) [D/E/French]
>
> Sandy Fleming wrote:
>
> >In Scots, the word "wick" is used to describe the corner of the mouth
> or
> >eye. For example, "I juist saw it in the wick o my ee"; "I just saw
> it
> >from the corner of my eye".
>
> Could this not be conencted to "quick" in the sense of exposed/live
> flesh  such "I cut myself to the quick": could the 'quick of the eye'
> be the fleshy bit/s in the corner ?

I don't see why. The connection with "wick" meaning "inlet" or "small
bay" seems clear enough, which is from the Norse as in Reykjavik etc.

> And Wichenford where I live which is still not 100% proved: some say
> it is from wych elms ( but apparently we don't have these just
> ordinary elms): some say from the tribe of the Wicca,

I think anything that's 100% proved has gone right round to being wrong
again!

Was there a tribe called the Wicca?

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/