LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:20:02 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 April - Volume 04

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (01) [E]

From: Sandy Fleming  <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.31 (02) [E]

Was there a tribe called the Wicca?

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

Hwicce actually, but near enough (they couldn't write anyway, so "correct
spelling" is a bit academic).  Part of the Mercia area, toward the Welsh
Border if I recall correctly (don't have refs. immediately to hand).

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>

Hi everyone!

Isn't it great to see people get excited about an etymon such as **pol- *and
relatives?

All these words - *flat, plane, field, fold,* phalakṙṣṭa - share the Proto
Indo-European root **pele-* which means 'falt, to spread'.

The Sanskrit word prthú-  'broad' and the Greek word platús 'broad' both
seem to stem from an extended Indo European root **pltH2u- *(*H2* symbolises
the second laryngeal which is believed to have lead to _a_ in IE languages,
but here in Sanskrit it lead to _i_ if you look at the feminine form *
prthiví*)).

And there was also the Greek place-name *Plataiaí *(fem. pl.) of **platauia
*< **pltH2-u-iH2.*
**
So philosopher Plato's (nick-)name *Πλατων - *Platon, which was given to him
because he was a broad-shaped man, also derives from this great etymon!
Wonderlik!

Best regards,

Marcel.