LL-L "Administrativia" 2007.04.01 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:35:26 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  - 01 April 2007 - Volume 08

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

[Please do read this, especially if you are new on board!]

Dear Lowlanders,

Can you believe the first quarter of 2007 is behind us already? Well, here's
the beginning of April already. Our 12th anniversary celebrations will begin
on April 15 and will end on May 15. (This was roughly the period we used to
get it together twelve years ago.)

Hopefully our main website (lowlands-l.net/) will be remodeled by then.
(Mathieu has been working hard on it.) Our anniversary site (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) keeps growing; a few new prospects are in the
works. The number of members exhibiting stuff in the gallery (
lowlands-l.net/gallery/) rose to a whopping six in March. Come on now,
folks! And, yes, you may "advertise" your sites, clubs, hobbies and other
stuff there (as long as it's not too naughty and commercial).

NEWS FLASH:
I just checked and realized that our Mathieu has indeed finished the
remodel: lowlands-l.net/
Nice job, Mathieu! Thanks!
Folks, note that the top banner and the "Language of the day" vignette
randomly change pretty much anytime you enter the site or refresh the page
view. (It's our Mathieu's latest bell and whistle.)

Membership:
Welcome to all of you who joined or rejoined us since the beginning of
March! At the end of this message is a list of your places of residence.

Please, folks, read and understand the rules and guidelines! It's really
important. You find them at our main website (lowlands-l.net/rules.php).

As most of you know in the meantime, our email addresses are now visible
only to subscribers. I hope this will encourage more of you to come forward
and participate in our discussions.

   1. We send the postings in Unicode (UTF-8) format. You need to switch
   your view mode to it if you want to see all "special" characters.
   2. You must always give us your name, given name and family name.
   3. If you forward Lowlands-L mail to another (alias) account, please
   give us the address of that account. We need to identify it so we can do
   something in case we get error messages from that server.
   4. You must credit the writers of anything you quote. "Lowlands-L
   wrote:" simply won't do. SEVERAL OF YOU ARE STILL NOT DOING THIS.
   5. Please continue already existing subject headers (rather than
   making up your own for the same thing). If you do begin a new topic, please
   make sure "Lowlands-L" or "LL-L" is in the subject line as well.

And a "new" one: DO NOT SEND POSTING SUBMISSIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY. I
cannot accept them and will ask you to resubmit them in normal type case.
Note that, besides being difficult to read, all-caps text breaks Internet
etiquette rules. It is only used to orthographically represent
headings/headlines, besides that SHOUTING, YELLING, SCREAMING, etc., and
beyond that it's perceived as a sign of crying for attention. It's
considered simply OBNOXIOUS.

Many beginners, but also a few older hands, forget to provide their names
with their posting submission. Please remember that anonymous posting is not
an option, that you are obligated to give your given and family name, even
if you do not put them right next to each other.

Even some people who have been with us for a while persistently ignore the
following rules:

   1. *Keep subjects separate*: Only one topic per posting! Don't mix
   things up, please.
   2. *Stick to the subject title*: Do not change the topic name in your
   apply or is silly. I will change it if I think it needs to be.
   3. *Edit quotes*: If you hit the "reply" button and simply write your
   response before or after an unedited, complete quoted LL-L issue, please do
   not complain to me that I have removed the quoted text in the published
   version. It is proper email behavior to quote only the portions that are
   relevant to your response.
   4. *Give credit*: Let us know who the authors of quoted text portions
   are.
   If you just hit the "reply" button, it will automatically give
   "Lowlands-L" as the author. That will not do. You must be more specific, and
   you owe authors the courtesy of crediting them by name.
   5. *Signing off*: If you feel like leaving the List, please do not
   send the sign-off command to the posting address or to my personal address.
   Please follow the instructions at the top and bottom of each LL-L issue
   (send the command "signoff lowlands-l" to [
   lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org].

 *Address Changes*

You do no longer need to sign off and on again if your email address
changes. It suffices if you send me (sassisch at yahoo.com) a message giving us
the old address and the new address. If you don't remember under which
address you were first subscribed, it will suffice if you give us only the
new address.

*Temporary Absence*

Before you take a trip or for some other reason need to stop LL-L mail
arriving for a given length of time, please write to us ([
lowlands.list at gmail.com]) to let us know the date you want mail to be
stopped and the date you want mail to be resumed. As some of our members can
attest, this has been working really well, certainly beats the old, crude
method of signing off and on again. Once in a while people find themselves
unsubscribed without notice. Some of them immediately suspect the worst:
that I have "booted them out" for some infraction or other. (I know this for
sure only about those that contact me. But it happens again and again and
involves even the nicest, best-behaved people.) Please do not jump to this
conclusion unless you have received prior reprimands and warnings (which has
occurred very rarely, not at all for well over one year). If you find
yourself disconnected from Lowlands-L, the reason is most likely that the
automated server has unsubscribed your address because of repeated
"bouncing," i.e., because your mail servers keep informing the list server
that you cannot be reached or is filled above quota. Most of the time this
is due to temporary disconnection. Sometimes the reason is that a
subscriber's junk mail filter (or "spam" filter) has not been "told" to
exempt Lowlands-L mail, which is why our mailings do not arrive in your
inboxes. So, if Lowlands-L mail stops coming, please first check your "spam"
filters and adjust them if necessary, and only contact me about the problem
if all of the above fails. Should you indeed be disconnected, please write
to me or resubmit an application. I'll be more than happy to bring you
swiftly back to the fold.

Again, dear Lowlanders, thanks for your support and cooperation and for all
those interesting contributions past and future!

Regards, Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Co-Founder & Chief Editor
Lowlands-L http://www.lowlands-l.net

***

Welcome to those of you who just joined us since 1 March 2007!

   *Algeria* (Ledzayer, الجزائر‎):
        Tipaza (Bazar, Tefessedt, تيبازة):
             Kolea [1] (كلية)
   *Argentina*: