LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:26:13 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 April 2007 - Volume 07

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (04) [E]

Hello,

It just hit me that *place, Platz, plaza, *and *piazza *(and perhaps *palazzo
*and *palace*?) could be from this same root.  Certainly the first element
in *platypus* is from this too.

I started to ask about *plethora*, but I see that it is from the root
meaning *full, to fill* – but could there be a connection there too?

Kevin Caldwell

From: Marcel Bas < roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.04.01 (01) [E]

Hi everyone!

Isn't it great to see people get excited about an etymon such as **pol- *and
relatives?

All these words - *flat, plane, field, fold,* *phalak**ṙṣṭ**a* - share the
Proto Indo-European root **pele-* which means 'falt, to spread'.

The Sanskrit word prthú-  'broad' and the Greek word platús 'broad' both
seem to stem from an extended Indo European root **pltH2u- *(*H2* symbolises
the second laryngeal which is believed to have lead to _a_ in IE languages,
but here in Sanskrit it lead to _i_ if you look at the feminine form *
prthiví*)).

And there was also the Greek place-name *Plataiaí *(fem. pl.) of **platauia
*< **pltH2-u-iH2.*

So philosopher Plato's (nick-)name *Πλατων - *Platon, which was given to him
because he was a broad-shaped man, also derives from this great etymon!
Wonderlik!

Best regards,

Marcel.