LL-L "History" 2007.04.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:15:10 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: "Clarkedavid8 at aol.com" <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.02 (03) [E]

John Welch wrote:
"If Scythians did not become "Saxons", the Scythian influence was a
long-term fact of life, with Polish nobles identifying with it until last
century."

I thought that the Slavonic and specifically Russian identification with the
"Scythians" only occurred in the late nineteenth century and was a
phenomenon of nineteenth-century nationalism, when nation states emphasised
their uniqueness and raison d'etre  by identifying their original ancestors,
such as the Anglo Saxons, Celts or Gauls. This provides much of the humour
of Asterix the Gaul and also led to Alexander Blok's very silly early 20th
century poem "The Scyths".

David Clarke