LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.04.05 (01) [E/German]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 15:05:32 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.04.04 (01) [E]

Hai Karl-Heinz and Lowlanderen,
I really enjoyed your links to that band Drangduewels. I know it is not what
many people older would see as FUN but I really enjoyed it. I could
understand bits but not all of it. Nevertheless it looks like a great night
out and would appeal to many Aussies. It seemed like I was watching an old
Aussie  Folk/Ocker style old fashioned band (which is actually very trendy
and the norm in winter in big country towns and cities here). I was
expecting the next song in Scots Lallands and then a nice Aussie ballad to
boot. The Redemption song (originally by Bob Marley and the Wailers) is
immediately recognisable by anyone here in Australia. A couple of years ago
here in Australia we had a really popular (and most intelligent) media
person called Anrew  Denton who had the top rating program on the national
TV station. He decided for fun to collect every recorded version of a song
called "Stairway To Heaven" by a band called Led Zeppelin, then release all
the versions of the same song as an album. It covered heavy rock and roll,
pop and folk etc and even had a version by Rolf Harris accompanied by wobble
board for background music. It was a massive hit on the charts and even made
Rolf Harris seem cool (for a little while anyway). Making versions of
popular stuff immediately available in a minority language (such as Low Sax)
really bangs it into young peoples psyche.
Power to the Drangduweels and Karl-Heinz
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au
Sydney, Australia