LL-L "History" 2007.04.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:43:33 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 April 2007 - Volume 03

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.05 (02) [E]

It's my understanding that the use of American Indian code talkers was
fairly successful. In World War I, they were mainly just a few Choctaw, but
there was a pretty large program in the Pacific Theater of World War II that
used Navajo code talkers. The US didn't use them as much in Europe in World
War II because we were aware the Germans had tried to train people in
American Indian languages.

Kevin Caldwell

From: Sandy Fleming  <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.04 (02) [E1

Using a natural language as a code is a notoriously poor strategy, but
it does seem to have found favour with the military at times, and I've
read that it was also used by the Americans in the first world war, who
believed (incorrectly) that the Germans wouldn't be able to understand
American Indian languages.