LL-L "History" 2007.04.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:46:17 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  05 April 2007 - Volume 04

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.07 (01) [A/D/E]

At 09:13 AM 03/07/07 -0800, Marcel Bas wrote:

 "According to ATF, the Scots (the inhabitants of Scotland) are the same as
the Scythians; as he explains to us, the argument that confirms this is that
the Scythians bred skot (`cattle' in Russian) [NC 2:252].

 A A Zaliznyak, 'Linguistics according to A. T. Fomenko',
Uspekhi Mat. Nauk 55:2 162-188, 2000"

I do wish mr Fomenko a lot of *Uspekhi* .
It's amazing, how much the Scythians have led to speculations. Although
Marcus Zuerius Boxhorn (1612-1653) was the first to formulate an Indo
European language hypothesis
(http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Zuerius_van_Boxhorn
), he thought that the Scythians were the people that we now refer to as
speakers of Proto-Indo-European. Whereas they were one of the many, later
Indo-Iranian tribes.

Perhaps the final proof of the link between the Scythians and the Scots lies
in their complete obsession with time.  In my last posting, I mentioned the
great Scythian Dionysius Exiguus (Dennis the Little), to whom we owe our
current year numbering system.  However, perhaps the greatest European
promoter of this new system was the great Northumbrian (hence, Scot) the
Venerable Bede.  As further proof (and a connection to Canada, Marcel), is
the great, but unheralded Canadian Sanford Fleming (not to be confused with
the great Lowlands contributor of the same name), whose proposal regarding
standard time zones at the Prime Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. in
1884, was accepted.  His obsession with this issue started when he missed a
train due to the hopelessly confusing train schedules prior to standard
time.  We might also refer to the dark history of Freemasonry in Scotland
which led somewhat circuitously to the founding of the Royal Society under
Charles II, who primarily needed a better clock so his navy could figure out
where they were, longitudinally speaking.

Ed Alexander