LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 00:18:52 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 April 2007 - Volume 04

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.12 (03) [E]

The laws are so tangled that the Australian Dept. Immigration gets confused.
My father born in Aust. 1914 was a British citizen, becoming Australian in
1949. I was born in UK 1948 and so I am Brit. and Aust. by law, but the
Dept. tried to naturalise me and the Minister of Citizenship had to write to
me to sort it out.
The problem is that since 1945, UK Canadian and Aust. people have been US
by nature.
chimera

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics"

Beste Ron,

Borat is asking me if you could please tell him how to become citizen of 23
different countries? Is it merely a matter of money/paying taxes?

How can a person at one point in time adhere to the laws of more than one
country if they are not perfectly compatible?

Or is this just talk for diplomatic people who feel they are super-legal?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Demographics

Hi, Luc!

With his experience in the U S of A, Borat is well on his way  He's just
playing dumb with you to egg you on.  For instance, he found out that women
in this country are allowed to travel inside buses, and, although he proudly
declared in a press conference that his country has raised the age of
consent for females to eight, he knows full well that it's a lot higher
here.  After all, his mission was, as the title of his documentary says, to
gather "Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of
Kazakhstan."

With regard to laws, having more than one citizenship isn't different from
living in more than one country or visiting other countries.  You are
obligated to be familiar with and follow the laws of any country in which
you reside, be it temporarily or permanently.

(There are few exceptions, such as sexual abuse of children in other
countries, be it legal or illegal in those countries, being subject to
procecusion back in your country or in another country you happen to visit.
Otherwise, you can do in one country what is illegal in another if it is
legal in the former.)

As an Australian citizen I may visit any country I choose, including Cuba
and North Korea (though the government warns everyone that it may not be
able to help them should they be in trouble).  As an American citizen I may not
visit those two countries, or only with special permission.  Considering
this, I cannot visit them legally without special permission, not even if I
did so from Australia, Mexico or wherever.  However, this would apply even
if I weren't an American citizen, if I were only a "resident alien" (i.e.
legal permanent resident with citizenship of another country).  (And this is
where it is different if you are a tourist from, say, Belgium, because you
don't reside here permanently.)

As for taxes, I must pay them (and, oh horror!, declare them by this coming
Monday) here in the US, because this is where my primary residence is and
where I earn my basic living.  Whenever I get money from another country
(including prize money or other sorts of winnings!) I must pay US taxes on
that too.

You are only allowed to vote in the country of your primary residence.
Voting in more than one country is illegal, as far as I know.

Furthermore, you must enter and leave a country of your citizenship with
your passport issued by that country (if applicable).  So I'd have to leave
the States with a US passport and enter Australia with an Australian
passport.  Not doing so would be tantamount to posing as a foreigner in
dealings with your own country.  So this would be an illegal act.

Many people, more and more of them, deal with this, mostly without any
hitch.  After all, the rule is "Obey the laws of the country in which you
happen to be."

Tell Borat I say "Yakshemish," and remind him that in a month or so he can
start wearing his cool bathing costume again!  The world can't wait.

Dzien kuje!