LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.12 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:01:53 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 April 2007 - Volume 05

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.12 (04) [E]

At 05:18 PM 04/12/07 -0700, Ron wrote:

>You are only allowed to vote in the country of your primary
>residence.  Voting in more than one country is illegal, as far as I know.

Actually, that's not true, as I vote in two countries quite legally, as
does my daughter.

>Furthermore, you must enter and leave a country of your citizenship with
>your passport issued by that country (if applicable).  So I'd have to
>leave the States with a US passport and enter Australia with an Australian
>passport.  Not doing so would be tantamount to posing as a foreigner in
>dealings with your own country.  So this would be an illegal act.

Okay, smart guy, which passport should I use when leaving Canada and
entering the US, and vice versa.

Ed Alexander

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Demographics

OK, Ed, payback time for the squirrel affair?

> Actually, that's not true, as I vote in two countries quite legally, as
> does my daughter.

Are you sure it's legal? I was expressly told that it isn't.

> Okay, smart guy, which passport should I use when leaving Canada and
> entering the US, and vice versa.

Here at the crossing between Washington State and British Columbia, going
north I'd show US emigration the US passport, then stash it away and whip
out the Canadian one for Canadian immigration a few feet down the road, and
on the way back I'd do it the other way around.  If you don't have this
double border thingy, well, then I guess you've got a problem and must go
through a third country.  Oops!  I forgot!  There ain't no other country
near Canada!  Oh, dear!  How about Greenland or Russia?  At least they're
cold enough.

Again, I was told that thing about the passports by people that deal with
multiple citizenships.

And, here's a message for Borat, Luc.  I wrote:

> With his experience in the U S of A, Borat is well on his way

Obviously, this was supposed to be "U, S and A."  How uninformed of me!

Anyway, even if you start life with, say, three citizenships (one each from
your parents and one from the country in which you were born, if that
country has a citizenship-by-birth law), and, being Jewish, you immediately
emigrate and get Israeli citizenship, you'd still have a long way to live to
get 19 more, considering that you need to be at least three (and in most
cases many more) years in a country to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

So tell Borat "Tishe!"  He'll understand.  He's playing with you -- and I
mean this in the nicest possible way.