LL-L "Anniversary" 2007.04.14 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:16:25 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  14 April 2007 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

Next week (beginning April 15) will be the beginning of our anniversary
month, this one marking twelve completed years of Lowlands-L.

I encourage you to come up with topics and activities that celebrate the
occasion.

Also, as always but now even more so, I encourage you to contribute to our
online anniversary presentation (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/). You can do so
by creating or facilitating (soliciting and aiding) further translations and
sound recordings, also by adding your personal introductions to our
collection (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/members.php).

Alternatively or in addition, I encourage you to claim your exhibition
cubicles in our newly opened gallery (lowlands-l.net/gallery/). Under the
recommended general topic "My Lowlands" you may like to exhibit anything
artistic or non-artistic that is suitable for most age-groups and does not
contain seriously meant put-downs of individuals, groups of people and
belief systems. Aside from written material, you may want to consider using
various sorts of pictures, sound recordings or video. Non-artistic works may
range anywhere from academic articles to personal essays, travel
descriptions and family histories (including genealogical summaries and name
research). Essays may cover things like memories of childhood, places,
momentous events and remarkable persons, experiences while learning a
Lowlands language, descriptions of dialects, customs and folklore. You may
like to "vent" your personal theories or hypotheses, or gripes, or even
likes and passions. Really, the sky's the limit, or better to say, you may
like to go as far as your imagination and creativity allow you to go.  If
you are not sure, please contact me (under "LL-L Gallery"), and I will
consult the rest of the LL-L Team if I have doubts.  And, yes, you may use
any language you wish, though it would be nice to have at least an English
version as well (for which help is available).

In any of the above, I hope you don't feel in any way shy or intimidated
because you assume your work would not measure up to our standards and could
not compete with works by other people.  Please remember that this is not
meant to be a competition, that we'd like to see you express your selves,
your selves that can not be compared with anyone else's self.  If you need
help with editing, processing or with English or another Lowlands language
we will do our best to arrange that.  All you need to do is ask.

Thanks to all Lowlanders that have contributed to these two projects,
especially those that did so this past year.  Muhammad Suleiman has been a
real boon to the project and a joy to work with.  He deserves loads of
thanks.  Thanks and welcome to one of our newest Lowlanders, Kevin Tang
(鄧焯然/邓焯然 Dahng Cheuk Yìhn), who kindly contributed a very nice Cantonese
translation and sound recording (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/yuht-fan.php),
and also to Roly (Roland) Sookias who facilitated Kevin's work and brought
him into the fold.  Meeting such intelligent and enthusiastic young people
ought to cause any "oldie" to (re)gain some hope in the future.

Special thanks go to our two featured guest contributors: Geraldine Anselma
(lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_nina-en.php)  and Dante Ferry (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/feature_dante.php). (Geraldine's intro version in
Dutch and Papiamentu are still to come.)

One of the latest translations is a Mongolian one (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/mongol.ph<http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/mongol.php>p)
that came to us directly from Mongolia, provided by Myagmarsüren ("Maya")
Ochirsükh, a very nice lady indeed. The effort has been facilitated (again!)
by my friend Dante Ferry and ... by no other than Monsignor "Wens"
(Wenceslao) Padilla, Roman Catholic Bishop of Mongolia, a fresh breeze of a
man, a man full of humility, fun, support and love, a real treat to meet.

Thanks to our Mathieu van Woerkom for remodeling our main website,
beautifully as always. (lowlands-l.net/) And thanks to everyone who
contributed pictures for it.

We keep track of "hits."  I can tell you that they are on the increase and
that people from literally all over the world visit our pages, also that
there are more and more links to them from other sites. I can tell that what
we put out there is having some impact, partly by people copying or
rephrasing our educational efforts and partly by our terminology and
considerations being adopted elsewhere.  So please do not think that this is
just something we do to entertain ourselves and nobody else cares about it.

Anyway, folks, keep the momentum going!

Thanks and best wishes to each one of you.