LL-L "Traditions" 2007.04.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 02:00:23 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  15 April 2007 - Volume 05

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.13 (02) [E]

Dear Ron:

Subject: L-Lowlands. Ethnic Humour.

I am the victim of linguistic laziness. There is floating around in the
family a massive tome, 'Till Ulenspeghel' by Da Costa, calligraphied,
illuminated, illustrated & beautifully bound, & I can only enjoy the
occasional Flemish interpolations, & must go to lesser interpretations for
the meat.

Tell, why is Low German & Afrikaans humour so scatalogical? e.g. Till hears
a young mother endlessly urging her child to go on the potty & eventually he
has enough of the matter & while she momentarily drifts away he shifts the
child off & makes a donation on its behalf, only Mama is so endlessly
fulsome in her wonder & praise of the infant Till flees in disgust.

Van der Merwe decides he wants an oil-well, because those who do get so
rich. So he calls in his brother who bores artesian wells & tells him where
to put the hole & to carry on until they strike oil. But this is the Karoo
Shield, formed in pre-Carbonacious times, & of course not even water comes.
But Van is nothing if not thrifty & makes the best of a bad job & puts an
outhouse over the hole. Then he inaugurates it, & dies in action, so to
speak. The Court of Inquiry asks his wife for her input & she muses, "Well
the van der Merwes are strange folk, & so stubborn! I know my husband, when
he drops something, he holds his breath until he hears it fall."

For Cape Coloureds, on the other hand, a joke is merely the vehicle for
their lightning-fast repartee, like. Gammat who walks past a ship moored in
Capetown Harbour & nearly catches a faceful of slops. He shouts up to the
ship, "Hey, your Father was a fisheries inspector & your mother a
harbour-seal!" the Captain looks out of a porthole & shouts, "Who are you
talking to?" Response, "You, thunderguts, you with the ship round your
neck!"

Gammat goes to the movies, & on the way meets Rachel, he joshingly asks her,
"What does this 'V' stand for, Rachel?" while with his finger he traces the
neck-line line of a rather low 'V'-neck sweater. "Oh, Gammat," she shyly
responds, "the 'V' stands for 'Virgin." "Such a pity!" says Gammat, "I was
going to invite you to join me to the bioscope right now, but I suppose it
wouldn't be proper for a virgin..." "Never mind," says Rachel hastily,
"Gammat, it's an old jersey!"

So much High Dutch wit, on the other hand, is simultaneously subtle & erotic
& often makes scabrous reference to religious figures. e.g. The Mother
Superior had to visit the Tante in a strange House, & saw the seat up, &
fainted.

I could share another one about Jakob de Doper, but it may be too raunchy
for mixed company.

Why is the middle Eastern Nasredin so political? e.g. They come to a city
gate but the guards won't let them in without a 'donation' until Nasredin
objects that there is a relative of the Sultan among the party. In some
alarm they let the company pass through until one guard with more of his
native wits about him asks, "Effendi, & who is he of the Sultan's
household?" the wit points to the last one of the party, a heavily loaded
donkey, & says, "Him." History does not relate...

Some other city, some other Sultan, grabs Nasredin & orders him to teach his
donkey to speak Persian within a year, or die. His friends go into mild
mourning on his behalf & he tells them to relax, "A year is a long time. The
Sultan may die, I may die, the donkey may die..."

Some real boffins have studied humour, but I still don't know why I laugh.
They say a Prussian did his doctoral thesis on humour, & forever after, he
would hear one or another anecdote out & after due consideration declare,
"Yes, that is a joke..."

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Philosophy" 2007.04.15 (04) [D/E/German]

Actually, it reminds me of a series of radio advertisements for Netflix (a
company that rents DVDs through the mail). The ads are done like a quiz
show, with the host asking a couple of totally absurd questions that are
impossible to answer, but the "contestant" gets them right. The third
question is then something really easy about Netflix. The ad makes the point
that it is really easy to rent from Netflix.

Sample questions and answers from the ads:

What is the square root of orange? Turquoise.

If 5 is happy, what is 6? Disappointed.

Kevin Caldwell