LL-L "Literature" 2007.04.17 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:59:34 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 April 2007 - Volume 09

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Philosophy" 2007.04.16 (04) [E]

 Dear Sandy:

Subject: L-Lowlands

> I suspect scatological humour is popular everywhere but tends to fall
> into censorous hands sooner or later. Look at the brilliant stories in
> the Arabian Nights such as "The Historic Fart" which seem to get passed
> over for all the tedious nonsense like Aladdin and Sinbad. Or how the
> satire of the Cadi &c gets retold in such a way that they don't all piss
> on each other.

> I wonder which scene will be the first to be deleted from Borat when the
> puritans get the upper hand again?  :)
Bawdlerising (Heh, heh heh), like the Poor, Death & Taxes, will always be
with us.

I have read (before I knew better), 'sanitised' versions of King Arthur,
Grimm, Gulliver & also 1000 & 1 Nights. Be at ease, the originals have
always survived, from the Golden Ass on the run to Ulysses in Dublin. Mrs
Burten did her damnedest, but her husband's edition, at least, of
the Arabian Nights survived, & as a primary-school kid (the right age, I
should think, for thorough visceral enjoyment), I read even unto the
footnotes on the fart. I do not see how the carpenter's five-tiered cabinet
could BE bawdlerised, but there is always some idiot that will try. Even so,
patient search, ask the kid that I was, will always find the original.

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2007.04.17 (07) [E]

> From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Philosophy" 2007.04.16 (04) [E]

> I have read (before I knew better), 'sanitised' versions of King
> Arthur, Grimm, Gulliver & also 1000 & 1 Nights. Be at ease, the
> originals have always survived, from the Golden Ass on the run to
> Ulysses in Dublin. Mrs Burten did her damnedest, but her husband's
> edition, at least, of the Arabian Nights survived, & as a
> primary-school kid (the right age, I should think, for thorough
> visceral enjoyment), I read even unto the footnotes on the fart. I do
> not see how the carpenter's five-tiered cabinet could BE bawdlerised,
> but there is always some idiot that will try. Even so, patient search,
> ask the kid that I was, will always find the original.

Nothing interesting or remotely satirical happens in the bowdlerised
version of The Young Woman and Her Five Lovers.

Unbowdlerised Grimm makes me shake my head (as usual) at the sort of
things our ancestors called entertainment, just as the fight scene in
Borat make me wonder about my peers! But the last thing I would want
would be to try to censor things just because they're not to my taste.
The most acceptable form of censorship is one's own eyelids, surely!

"Bawdlerised" - that's clever!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/