LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:33:42 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  19 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: "Isaac M. Davis" <isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.17 (12) [E]

On the subject of foreword/forward confusion, Ron wrote:

Kevin, well, if you put it that way ;-) I guess they are pronounced alike in
> rhotic American English.  As far as I know, they are not in most non-rhotic
> dialects; for instance something like "foreword" ["fo:w3:d] vs "forward"
> ["fowOd] ~ ["fO:d], vs something like ["fOrw3rd] in rhotic American for
> both.  Well, right.  So it's understandable ... but ...

I don't know if this is just personal idiosyncrasy, but I pronounce them
differently when I'm stressing them; 'forward' receives equal stress on each
syllable, or possibly slightly more on the initial, where 'foreword' is
stressed on the ultimate. In relaxed speech, though, they are certainly
homophones.

My 2 Canadian cents, eh,

Isaac M. Davis

--