LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:49:54 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 August 2007 - Volume 05

From: "Clarkedavid8 at aol.com" <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (04) [E]

Ron wrote:

I'm glad Charles went for the banner and asked about it, and good thing he
learned a thing or two in the process.  I'm sorry he is often underrated and
his (understandable) awkwardness and dislike regarding the media don't
help.  He strikes me as being rather sensitive, perceptive, receptive and
approachable with an intellectual bent, even as passionate about lots of
issues, at least as caring about stuff.  In other words, he dares to have
and display interests and opinions that are not manufactured by the protocol
and PR staff.  If you're a monarchist or not, as a compassionate and
respectful human being one has to give him credit for that considering his
circumstances.  I can imagine he would be approachable about language issues
now or as the king.

 You're not angling for a mention in the Honours List, Ron? I think Charles
seems very similar to his ancestor, Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert,
who was earnest and well-meaning but not very intelligent or effectual. He
makes me think of Heine's bitchy comment about the Albert Memorial, that it
shows all the great geniuses of human history around the base and then a
complete nonentity (Prince Albert) on top. Heine was not very fond of either
the English or German princes, however, so he might have been biased.

David Clarke