LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:54:56 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 August 2007 - Volume 07

From: "Clarkedavid8 at aol.com" <Clarkedavid8 at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.07 (06) [E]

lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM writes:

Sounds hard but logical to me...how can you expect the speakers from a
dying language to welcome outside forces, if the very reason why the
concerned language is not surviving is because it was unable/unwilling
to cope with major external (linguistic) influence?

Methinks, adaptation, survival of the fittest, does not only apply to
biology.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

I think it is very naive and even dangerous to equate the survival and
extinction of languages with the survival and extinction of natural
organisms. Languages usually flourish because they happen to be spoken by a
hegemonistic community, not because they are in any way intrinsically
superior than languages that die out.

David Clarke