LL-L "Administrativia" 2007.08.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 18:28:43 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  12 August 2007 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

The Northern Hemisphere summer months used to be the slowest time of the
year with regard to both List activities and subscription. For some reason
this changed a couple of years ago and it became most apparent this year.
The beginning of August has brought to us seven or eight new Lowlander
already (Australia, Denmark, Netherlands, Singapore, USA), which is an
unusual rate (and perhaps it's just a fluke). Hello and welcome on board to
you who joined us in August so far! Please make yourselves at home. We are a
friendly crowd, as you'll soon find out. So there's no need to feel timid.
But please do read our rules and guidelines (lowlands-l.net/rules.php).

My personal guess is that our web activities attract quite a few people.
This change I'm talking about roughly coincides with the maturing of our
Anniversary site (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) which is by far our most
popular site.

I'll append below the list of our current activities, which I posted a few
days ago. These activities attract a steady stream of visitors and
supposedly explain to many people more clearly what we are about. I only
wish more of you would get into the act, and most of you would at least take
a look at our new song contest site (lowlands-l.net/contest/).

Having said all this, let me briefly get to the main purpose of this
posting.

I wonder if any of you legal types and administratively savvy Lowlanders can
help clarify or perhaps research if there is such a thing as registration of
international organizations or associations, if this would apply to and be
suitable for us, and how to go about registering for it.  Or does this need
to be done on a country by country basis?  I know that one advantage of
registering tends to be tax-exempt status, which does not apply to us so
far, since there has been no income (and I have born all expenditure
personally so far). However, I'm wondering if  such a status would be
advantageous in other regards.  It would be great if you could give us some
pertinent advice and instructions.

As most of you know, our List proceedings are registered as a periodical
both internationally (ISSN 189-5582) and with the US Library of Congress
(LCSN 96-4226).

So here I have another legal question for our Lowlands afkaten (real and
would-be) and librarians. Would it be advisable for us to obtain separate
registration for each of our on-line publications, and, if so, what types,
and how do we go about this?

Thanks in advance for helping with these issues!

***

   - Anniversary Site
   lowlands-l.net/ anniversary/ <http://lowlands-l.net/%20anniversary>
   As of today, it has 222 translations and 111 audio files! It's always
   hungry for more translations. So please do your best as far as translating,
   recording and recruiting others are concerned. The Osnabrück Low Saxon
   versions now have audio files, and we have been joined by Joachim
   Kreimer-de Fries, who contributed them and the translations. Welcome,
   Joachim!
   - Travel Site
   lowlands-l.net/travels/
   This site is enjoying growing popularity, all of its articles, and
   people come back for more ... So let's not disappoint the poor things! Don't
   forget the travel language pages! Check out several more of our Tom's own
   photographs on his page about Edinburgh! (You can even see him, albeit far
   in the distance.)
   - Gallery
   lowlands-l.net/gallery/
   More and more people visit this site, too, and many return for more.
   'Nough said.
   - Song Contest
   lowlands-l.net/contest/
   The entry deadline is December 31. So snap to it, folks!

Purpose, scope and instructions are outlined for each of these sites. Please
ask (preferably in a posting to the List) if you need anything explained. If
you're really shy ... alright, write to me personally.

Thanks, Lowlanders!  You'll just have to put up with me periodically
lighting some fire under your little backsides.