LL-L "Etymology" 2007.08.17 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:28:40 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 August 2007 - Volume 01

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.08.15 (03) [E]

Kevin Caldwell wrote:
Having studied Russian, I always wondered about the root of this word
("mukha" in Russian) and how it connected to English "fly". It turns out to
be etymologically related to English "midge".

The Latin name of the common housefly is "Musca domestica". Maybe that
helps.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Ron Bronemann <ronbron7 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Scotch Grove, Iowa, founded by Scots

Hello List!

Early Scottish immigrants walked from Hudson Bay, Canada, to Jones County,
Iowa, USA and founded a small town that is now named Scotch Grove.  From
older residents I learned that no records exists describing how the name
originated. The best local suggestion for the origin of the name is that the
name came from non-Scots. (No record of a Scotch whiskey  distillery has
been found.)  Perhaps someone has a better suggestion or more knowledge on
this subject?

Thanks for your comments and for all the interesting topics.

Ron Bronemann
(neither Scottish or Scotch)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Ron!  Welcome, and congratulations on the beginning of your life a s a
poster!

As for flies and their ilk ...

Words for 'midge', sometimes 'fly':

German: Mücke
Middle German: *mucke* ~ *mücke* ~ *mugge* ~ *mügge
*Dutch: *mug*
Middle Dutch: *mugghe* ~ *mucke*
Old German: mugga ~  mukka ~ muck
Low Saxon: Mügg [mYC] (< Mügge ['mYge])
Middle Saxon:
Old Saxon: mugga ~ muggia
English: midge
Old English: mydge
Old Norse: *mý*
Old Swedish: *myg* ~ *mugga* ~ *mygga*
Swedish: my ~ *mugga* ~ *mygg* ~ *mygga*
Danish: myg
Norwegian (Nynorsk): *my*

Further, words for 'fly':

W. Frisian: mich
Latin (Classical): musca
Romanian: muscă
Italian: mosca
Catalan: mosca
Castilian: mosca
Portuguese: mosca
French: mouche
Albanian: *mizë*
Greek: μυῖα myĩa
Sorbian: mucha
Polabian: mucha
Czech: moucha
Slovak: mucha
Polish: mucha
Russian: муха muxa
Ukrainian: муха muxa
Croatian: muva
Bulgarian: муха muxa
Latvian: muša

Sanskrit: मज़क mazaka gnat, mosquito, any type of flying insect that stings
> Mosquito:
Panjabi: ਮੱਛਹਰ machchhar
Nepali: मच्छर macchar
Marathi: मच्छर macchar