LL-L "Etymlogy" 2007.08.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 17:57:09 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  25 August 2007 - Volume 01

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.08.22 (01) [D/E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Luc, I have a feeling we're talking about a different verb from transitive
horen 'to hear', namely about archaic intransitive horken , the cognate of
English archaic (*heorcian* > herkien >) "h(e)ark(en)", Scots herk ~ hark ~
hearken, and German horchen with the connotation of "to listen attentively".
In Old Frisian you get *herkia* ~ *harkia* (> North Frisian harke ), in
Middle Dutch *horken* ~ *horcken* which in some West Flemish dialects was
preserved as horken ~ heurken.  Some Low Saxon dialects use horken, which
may be a German loan, considering that there appears to be no Old Saxon
cognate. Also, I find no trace of it in Old Low Franconian.

It also still exists in Westerlauwer Frisian ("harkje"), where Dutch has
"luisteren".

Like Dutch ( luisteren), most Low Saxon dialects use luustern or
lüüsternfor 'to listen', a cognate of German
lauschen.

WF has "lústerje" but not in this meaning, but it means "to whisper" (Dutch
"fluisteren"). So question: is there a connection between
"luisteren" and "fluisteren" ?

Henno