LL-L "Phonology" 2007.12.03 (03) [E]

Mon Dec 3 17:48:08 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2007.12.01 (01) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Concerning the g/j pronunciation in Eastern Low Saxon dialects such as
Brandenburgian (formerly also Pomeranian and East Prussian) I want to add
that J-pronunciation of an apparant G was also commonplace in Holsten. The
village of Jevenstedt was called Gievenstede in 1190 but became Jevenstedt
later due to the local pronunciation. The same happened to Jahrsdoerp (HG:
Jahrsdorf) just south of Wistedh (Hohenwestedt) which in 1149 was recorded
as Geresthorp. So pronouncing the G in the way it is currently done in
Northalbian Low Saxon might be a more recent development while the J
pronunciation actually an archaic one. As such the Eastern Low-Saxon
dialects might simply have retained an archaic pronunciation on colonial
ground similar to American English retaining post-vocalic R pronunciation in
contrast to (Southern-)British English.

Regards,

Helge

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi, Helge! Great to hear from you, as always.

You may have a point there, which may or may not contradict the theory of
Low Franconian influence in the east. As far as I know, the area we talked
about earlier is not contiguous with Holstein. At least I'm not aware of /g/
[j] in Mecklenburg dialects.

However, it would also be consistent with my proposal of Slavonic
substrates. After all, much of Eastern Holstein, including the island of
Fehmarn) used to be Polabian-speaking (and there used to be
Polabian-speaking villages even in Denmark (Island of Funen/Fyn?).

See the dark purple areas marking the Polabian area along the western part
of the Baltic Sea coast on the following map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Central_Europe%2C_919-1125.jpg . Click on
the map, and on the new page click on it again for an enlargement.
Unfortunately, the map does not indicate Polabian presence farther south, in
the Draween area on the Lunenburg Heath.

I don't find any indication that there was g ~ y alternation in Old Saxon,
which doesn't mean that there couldn't have been such in some dialects.