LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.04 (03) [E]

Tue Dec 4 18:03:45 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

I think we owe our non-North-German friends a bit more of an explanation
what this *Bodden* thing is Jonny mentioned.

Basically it is an estuary, or perhaps rather a lagune. In Germany it's
special because it's rare and is specific to the Pomeranian coast of the
Baltic Sea (Germany and Poland). In Polish it's a *zalew*

A *Bodden* is separated from the open sea by what in German is called a *
Nehrung*, namely a spit, Italian *lido*, Polish *mierzeja*, Russian *коса* *
kosa*.