LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.04 (02) [E]

Tue Dec 4 17:23:31 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: RE: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.01 (06) [E]

Beste Ron and Marcus,

you discussed the origin of the well-known LS word *_Botten**(pl. only!)**_*
*,* meaning 'big boots'.

Perhaps as a completion of your results let me add, that I guess a relation
to G: 'Bottich' (E: 'vat'), perhaps even LS: 'Bodden' (= shallow water,
mostly part of a bay of the sea).

I found in the DUDEN:
*quote:*
 In dem Wort mhd. botech[e], botige, ahd. botega haben sich vermutlich
roman. Abkömmlinge von griech.-lat. apotheca »Abstellraum, Magazin« (vgl. z.
miteinander vermischt. Siehe auch Böttcher und Bütte.

Duden - Das Herkunftswörterbuch, 3. Aufl. Mannheim 2001 [CD-ROM]
*unquote*

And additional: in Middle Low Saxon 'Bodden' also described a small boat
(big boots = small boats ?); jokingly we still use to say 'Elbkähne' (=
'Elbe river barges') for big boots.

[Mysteries still continue ...]

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

*PS: Unbelievable! I just now hear the old famous song of any
Sinatra-daughter(?) "These boots are made for walking..." in the background,
where my son is looking TV.

----------

*From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Jonny.

To make things even weirder: Since yesterday I've been mulling over the same
set of words you proposed above!

Let me just add the (obvious?) connection with *bodega* 'wine shop', a word
many languages borrowed from Spanish.

I wonder if we are dealing with a combination of origins here,
"cross-contamination," so to speak.

Old Saxon has *budin* for what in German is *Bütte* 'vat', cognate of Old
German *butin*; cf. Medieval Latin *butina* 'drinking flask', 'cask', and
Greek *βυτίνη bytínē* ~ *πυτίνη pytínē* 'drinking flask covered by woven
wicker'. These are supposed to go back to Indo-European **beu-* 'to blow',
'to swell'. So we are talking about thick, fat, swollen things.

And here the plot thickens. In Old Saxon we also find *bodon-brāwi* ~ *bodun
brāwi* 'bleary-eye(d)', 'puffy-eye(d)', supposedly related to Middle Saxon *
boddech* ~ *boddich* 'swollen'.

And this takes us to an Indo-European diminutive version: "bottle", Low
Saxon *boddel* ~ *buddel* (*bottel* ~ *buttel*), etc., apparently from Old
French *bouteille* (in Middle English also *botel*), related to Italian *
bottiglia*, Spanish *botella*, Portuguese *botelha*, etc., apparently from
Latin *buticula* 'small vessel', diminutive of Late Latin *butis ~*
*buttis*'vessel', which is related to ... tadah! ... our old friend
the
*butt*, cognate of French *botte* ~ *boute*, etc. However, the *Oxford
English Dctionary* says it's *not* related to "boot" and that its origin is
unknown ...

The mystery does continue ...