LL-L "Technica" 2007.12.06 (03) [E]

Thu Dec 6 18:19:30 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Procedures"

Dear Ron and other "lowland mavens",

I must confess I am totally befuddled about the way the messages are posted
in this forum.

Some of us (like me) are trying to put new messages related to an existing
strain above past messages with a quote taking from earlier messages. Others
put new messages at the bottom.

Do messages of the moderator then go at the bottom or  at the top? The way
it is being done seems to be a mess. Oh Great Kahuna please enlighten us, I
literally do not know which end is up!  (But then of course I ate too much
taai-taai and marzipan yesterday) Jacqueline.
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

O, Jacqueline, dearest naversche,

You may be looking for sense in the midst of madness. Could a sugar rush be
blamed?

The basic principle is that I don't edit messages submitted as posting
submissions. I merely copy and paste them. (I don't want to do so, since
that would be the beginning of a slippery slope. If a submission contains
something unacceptable or a glaring error I send it back to the originator
for amendment, but this has not happened in a long time.)

Quoted text goes wherever people's e-mail programs are told to put them. If
people let an entire though not in its entirety relevant issue dangle at the
end (which unfortunately many still do) I simple ignore it.  Is it really
that difficult to know what are quoted texts?  Does your program not allow
you to see indented and/or colored text? Do you have any suggestion other
than me editing people's messages?

I usually put my own postings underneath the last posting to which I
respond. In most cases that's at the very bottom.

No need to appeal to the Kahuna for help. (
http://lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm) He is the King of Lowtech and
wouldn't dream of touching a computer. In his ample spare time he prefers
communing with Nature (which he simply calls *hālāwai*, which means both
'meeting' and 'space from zenith to horizon', since there is no Hawaiian
word for "nature" in terms of "outdoors" and "Mother Nature"). Supposedly
he's doing this at this very moment (though in my book it's called
snoozing).