LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.06 (04) [E]

Thu Dec 6 18:28:29 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 December 2007 - Volume 04

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.06 (03) [E/LS/D]

Moyn Sönke & all,

06.12.2007 at 16:28 Sönke asked:
> Is this "Sün(t)" for "Saint", German "Sankt", a special feature (maybe of
> Dutch origin?) of that local dialect, or is this word known also in other
> LS areas?

Yes, it is known in other LS areas. In Westphalian:

"*Sünte Claus der heil. Nicolaus und nebenher: der Knecht Ruprecht oder
Popanz;
Sünte Claus Auwend  der Tag vor St. Nicolaus.*" (Klöntrup)

And there is also:

"*Sünt Nümmer ein Heiliger, der nicht existiert*; to *Süntnümmersdage,  wan
de Smiggen bisset* = niemals." (Klöntrup)
[Saintneverday, when the slugs/snails become randy/lewd/lustful]

Keep goody-goody,

Joachim Kreimer-de Fries

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Moyen, Joachim!

"*Sünt Nümmer ein Heiliger, der nicht existiert*; to *Süntnümmersdage,  wan
de Smiggen bisset* = niemals." (Klöntrup)
[Saintneverday, when the slugs/snails become randy/lewd/lustful]

Are you absolutely sure that that's what it means? Had you not added a
translation I would have sworn that it means "... when the snails/slugs
run." I would have connected *bissen* with Northern Low Saxon *birsen* 'to
run'.

Oh, you Westphalians!

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.06 (02) [D/E]

Usually one would pronounce <sint> here as <singt>, but in the case of
Sinterklaas it's not uncommon to pronounce it as <Sinneklaas>, which doesn't
look so distant from your <sünneklaas>. A simplified children's
pronunciation?

Diederik

Is this "Sün(t)" for "Saint", German "Sankt", a special feature (maybe of
Dutch origin?) of that local dialect, or is this word known also in other
LS areas?

A nice holiday to all of you,
Sönke