LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.07 (02) [E/German]

Fri Dec 7 15:43:53 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Heather,

You wrote:
> We have a dreadful lurgie go round at the moment: nasty head cold,
> sore throat and bad cough. My daughter married to a Scot has been
> picking up his way of saying things and was heard last week to remark
> " You've given me the smits" i.e. you've passed the infection on to me
>
> I had never heard this before. Apparently there's 'smittle' as well,
> meaning infection. Does it have any lowland link?

"to smittle" is a frequentative of Old English "smitten", "to befoul",
which is cognate with Dutch "smet" (= stain (E)) and German "Schmutz".
Dutch also has the verb "besmetten", "to infect", and the word
"smetvrees", nosophobia, a (mental) disease that some housewives suffer
from.

Strikes me :-D   how "to smite" means "to strike" in Flemish/Brabantish
"smijting" (thrashing), just like it did in Old English. Whereas
"strijken" is quite the opposite, "to caress" (E), "streicheln" (G). Of
course the movement is similar, but the intent isn't.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries < Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.06 (04) [E,LS, G]

Moyn trügge,

Reinhard/Ron Hahn quoted from my posting regarding "sünteklaas":

>> "Sünt Nümmer ein Heiliger, der nicht existiert; to
>> Süntnümmersdage,  wan de Sniggen bisset = niemals." (Klöntrup)
>> [Saintneverday, when the slugs/snails become randy/lewd/lustful]

and commented:

> Are you absolutely sure that that's what it means? Had you not
> added a translation I would have sworn that it means "... when the
> snails/slugs run." I would have connected bissen with Northern Low
> Saxon birsen 'to run'.

No, I'm not absolutly sure. At the first seeing of "bisset" I
supposed the same innocent meaning as you tell. But unsure, I looked
also after the LS-Westphalian-word "bissen" in Klöntrup and found:

"bissen
vor wild laufen; wird nur von Kühen gebraucht; von Pferden sagt man
se wäret löüpsk.
Im Scherz sagt man
wän de Sniggen bisset - ad calendas graecas." (Klöntrup)

Then, to be sure, I found under

"löüpsk - s. lorsk" and under

"lorsk s. loren; eene lorske Tiwe eine läufige Hündin, ein
mannsüchtiges Mädchen."

So, from the association I already have had reading "läüpsk" (G:
läufig) and because of that meaning of "löüpsk/lorsk" I concluded the
"randy/lewd/lustful" (found in Leo's online dictionary as response to
"läufig").

Now finally, after your objection, I look again in Klöntrup under:

"loren" and read:

"loren läufisch seyn /:loupsk sin:/; wird nur von Hündinnen
gebraucht; von Kühen sagt man in dem Falle bullen und bulsk sin; von
Ziegen see bücket oder sind bücksk; von Pferden see sind
pask /:pagisk, von Page ein Pferd, Hengst:/." (all Klöntrup)

Therefore you may well be right, because sniggen [snails/slugs]
aren't bitches or she-dogs.  On the other hand...

Anyway, it's funny to find the "Süntnümmersdag" and come to such
ambiguity while talking about Santa Claus...

Keep honest,

Joachim Kreimer-de Fries

----------

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Joachim, and thanks.

I understood the connection between "running" and "being in heat" right
away. I believe the writer of that entry may have jumped the gun in making
the meaning of "to be in heat" (of cows) the overriding meaning, or that he
worded the entry in such a way that one interprets it that way.

I still believe the basic (as well as original) meaning of *bissen* is 'to
run', as is the case with the cognate *birsen* in the northern dialects of
Low Saxon. The meaning "to be in heat" is derivative and specific with
reference to cows (in the sense of "to run around," and other words for "to
run" in Low Saxon and German for "to be in heat" of other animals is not
really pertinent to my point).

What *is* my point really? Snails are notoriously and proverbially slow;
they creep, slide along ... When you say, "when snails run" meaning "never
in a million years" (or "when pigs fly") you are referring to the opposite.
Get it?  I don't for a second think that "to be in heat" enters the picture
here.

Kumpelmenten in't Huus!