LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.07 (03) [E]

Fri Dec 7 16:01:29 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2007.12.05 (04) [E/Yiddish]

For what little it's worth, I once had a bit of fun telling my then
landlady's
daughter about Santa Fangs - Santa Claws' evil cousin - who follows him on a
sleigh pulled by a pack of wolves. and who beats up naughty children and
steals their presents.  The child's mother drew the line at me telling her
that Santa Fangs comes up the plug-hole instead of down the chimney as Santa
Claws does in 20C., US-originated Christmas folklore.  (You can see why he's
Santa Claws, can't you?  How else is he to come down and go back up the
chimney?  ;)

(Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer got his red nose after escaping from a
hungry
Santa Fangs, escaping through the Chernobyl' radioactivity cloud after
getting bitten at least once - of course his nose glows! ;)

She then retailed the story to her cousin, and her cousin's mother then
banned
mention of Santa Fangs, because she was getting worried and a little
scared ... a bad conscience?  Maybe!?! ;)

Then I find out that I'm not really that inventive after all ... and other
Lowlanders had already done it with Knecht Ruprecht, and I feel much like
Captain Chaos in South Park, being beaten to the draw by the Simpsons - oh
the humanity!!! ;)

Wesley Parish

On Thursday 06 December 2007 09:29, Lowlands-L List wrote:
<snip>

> From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
> Subject: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
>
> Ron wrote: "…and rough old Knecht Ruprecht…"
>
> I haven't heard of him (her?) before.  Which tradition does he (she?) come
> from?
>
> Mark Brooks
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Holidays
>
> Thanks, guys! And sorry about the error in the date.
>
> Mark, Knecht Ruprecht is Santa's helper, or rather he does The Man's dirty
> work, his specialty being the punishment of the naughty kids so Santa's
> image isn't tarnished.
>
> And, not to forget -- and here I nearly made another date error -- happy
> Hanukkah to all of you that celebrate it! It begins todayt; i.e., it began
> last night with sundown, and will end on the 13th of December. *
>
> Ikh hob okersht bashlosn tsu esn latkes haynt bay nakht, **un a bisl loks
> mit smetene dertsu! **Oy, s'iz azoy geshmak!*
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks, Wes. in my opinion the existence of this Knecht Ruprecht character
in no way devalues your inventiveness, which is clearly brilliant.

So you are one of those guys that goes around scaring little kids, I see.

When I was little (again eons ago) I once asked my father, if the Easter
Bunny (LS *Oosterhaas'*, G. *Osterhase*) comes and brings gifts on Easter
(LS *Oostern*, western dialects *Paas(k)en* or *Paaschen*, G. *Ostern*) what
animal is involved on Pentecost/Whitsuntide (LS *Pingsten*, G. *Pfingsten*)
soon thereafter. Straight-faced and without hesitation he replied it was, of
course, the Whitsun Bull (LS *Pingstbull*, G. *Pfingstbulle*). And I
swallowed that without hesitation. Not only that, but I spread the news
among neighborhood children. So for one season at least a good number of
children waited for the bull to come and wondered what sorts of gifts he
would bring ...