LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.10 (03) [D/E/LS]

Mon Dec 10 18:08:25 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.07 (07) [E]

 Beste Paul, Heiko and Gabriele,

thanks for your answers regarding *_abkündigen_.*

Paul, your assumption > to reject or deny responsibility? (A guess based on
kündigen, to hand in ones notice) was close to mine too, until I spoke with
a man familiar with the language of the church, such as Heiko and Gabriele
seem to be.

The prefix *'ab-'* here obviously denotes the direction 'down from (the
pulpit)'.

An archaic word, anyway...

Allerbest and gratulations ;-)

Jonny Meibohm

BTW: German 'Pulpitis' is very far off the English 'pulpit'- it's a medical
Terminus Technicus and denotes the 'inflammation of the pulp' (=core of a
tooth). I wonder by which curious circumstances these words could be
related...

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Beste Kahuna,

is it believable- people over there in Seattle seem to be better informed
about new German terms than we 'backwards' ;-) are, as your knowledge about
*_Miendientje_* shows.

Allerbest und bedankt!
Krisst ouk 'n Trüller-Keks foyr ;-)!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Thanks, Jonny, I think.

You need to get it into your head that the Kahuna and I are really not all
that earthbound or geographically confined, that we can be anyway. You can
run, but you can't hide from us.

As for German *abk**ündigen*, I don't quite see what the big deal is. You
get *ank**ündigen*, which means 'to announce', originally apparently
someone's arrival. Ecclesiastic *abk**ündigen* may well be a case of
retention of an otherwise discontinued word, the opposite: 'to announce
someone's departure'.

Are announcements of births in a congregation connected with
*ank**ündigen*perhaps? In that case, referring to death announcements
by
*abk**ündigen* would be nice and "symmetrical," wouldn't it? It seems rather
beautiful.

It boils down to the German nouns *Kunde*, Low Saxon *K**ünn*, 'knowledge',
'notice', the adjectives *kund* (e.g. *kund tun/geben*), Low Saxon *k**ünnig
*, 'known', 'made aware', and the verb *k**ündigen*, Low Saxon *k**ünnigen*,
'to make known', 'to make aware', 'to give notice', thus directly
corresponding to English "to give notice (of one's intention to end a
business relationship)." These words are related to "couth," now defunct in
English, while it's opposite survives: "uncouth," and there's Scots *couthie
* 'appropriate', 'proper'. The connection here is that that which is known
(to everyone) is socially accepted and appropriate.