LL-L "Resources" 2007.12.20 (01) [E]

Thu Dec 20 20:34:37 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 December 2007 - Volume 01

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Resources"

Dear Lowlanners,

just enjoying an interim-time of peace when nobody tries to improve Low
Saxon ;-) I heard about the plans of Gooogle to capture, at least to acquire
the WIKI-project. Is it true?

For my opinion this would be a disastrous event. Google with all its
well-known hyper-potency should take part with or even absorb WIKI?

At the very urgent moment I'm just able to offer you the German site; I'm
sure you'll find a lot of counterparts in your own, special language:

http://www.chip.de/news/Knol-Google-plant-Wikipedia-Alternative_29854133.html

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Robert McMahon <rmcmahon at staffmail.ed.ac.uk>

Dear Lowlanders,

I just thought some of you(s) might be interested in the following web
site which records some of the results from a project funded by the
AHRC and based in Edinburgh.  The sound comparisons project has been
developing methods for quantifying the similarity between dialects and
languages over the last few years and the  web site,
http://www.soundcomparisons.com/
records the results from the last two years for a standard set of
items from a group of English dialects and related Germanic languages
- including a few lowland varieties.  The words have been collected
recorded and transcribed into IPA and the web site has over a 1000
sound files from the project, and includes reconstructed forms for
some of the hypothesised ancestral pronunciations of the collected
words.

Best wishes

Rob McMahon
R.McMahon (PhD)Dip RCPath.
Clinical Scientist
Molecular Genetics Service
Molecular Medicine Centre
Western General Hospital
Crewe Road
Edinburgh
EH4 2XU

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.