LL-L "Names" 2007.12.20 (02) [E]

Thu Dec 20 20:42:21 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: Yasuji Waki <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.12.04 (07) [E]

: Yasuji Waki yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp Subject: Low Saxon in Low Saxon 04.12.
2007

>From: Kazunari Hirano <khirano at gmail.com>
>Subject: Low Saxon in Low Saxon

>Hi,

>We call our language (Japanese) "Japanese" in English.
>We call our language (Japanese) "Nihongo" in Japanese.

>How do you call your language (Low Saxon) in Low Saxon?

>Thanks,
>khirano
Hallo Mr. Hirano!
Are you fromJapan? I am a Japanese and not a native speaker of
Low Saxon (Neddersass'sch). Maybe Low Saxon is called "Neddersass'sch" in
Plattdüütsch. I think that Neddersass'sch is another name of Plattdüütsch or
Niederdeutsch.

Hallo, Ron san! Bitte, sag mir mal,ob meine Antwort richtig ist!

Hartlich Greuten!
Best regards,

Yasuji Waki

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Names

Yes, Yasuji, "Low Saxon," etc., are names for what some people call "Low
German," a very misleading and confusing name.

What we are talking about is the descendant language of Old Saxon, which
happens to be spoken in the Lowlads.

What confused the issue is that what is now the German state of "Saxony,"
which has nothing to do with the real Saxons but usurped the name and is now
considered "Upper Saxony" by many.

Our language is known as *Nedersaksisch *in Dutch, which is much more
appropriate. References to "German" come from the time when in Germany they
*wanted* the language to be a dialect group of German.

Regards from California!