LL-L "Names" 2007.12.22 (03) [E]

Sat Dec 22 23:30:07 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: Heiko Evermann <privat at evermann.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2007.12.22 (02) [E]

Hi Ingmar,
> In the German part of the language area the one and only popular term
> for the whole language is /plattdüütsch. Neddersass'sch /and
> /Nedderdüütsch/ are only used by educated speakers.
Plattdüütsch is also an affectionate name for the language, so the
Plattdüütsch speakers use "Plattdüütsch" only.

> The denominators High and Low rather have to do
> with geographical features, High German, including Middle German,
> generally spoken in the hills and highlands, and Low German in the even
> plains of Northern Germany and the Netherlands/Belgium...
Not quite, at least not in German. There is "Niederdeutsch", "Mitteldeutsch"
and "Oberdeutsch" when it comes to the geographical area. But the
distinction
"Niederdeutsch" vs. "Hochdeutsch" usually means the distinction between
"dialect" vs. official language. I think that is an important reason why
Plattdüütsch speakers do like to use the name "Niederdeutsch".

Hartlich Gröten,

Heiko