LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (04) [E]

Sat Dec 22 23:47:30 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 December 2007 - Volume 04

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language attitudes" 2007.12.22 (01) [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language attitudes" 2007.12.21 (03) [E]
>
> How about a "Most Pointless Contest" contest?  They could hardly lose
> with that one.

Maybe we could hold one on the list? Something I thought of while
driving about lost in Exeter in Devon today...

You know the English comedian Tony Hancock who wore a Homburg hat as his
trademark before his head got too big for it?

And you know how when you see people wearing hats, especially at
weddings, there's always good hats and bad hats?

Well, driving about Exeter today trying to find the CityLink depot, I
drove down quite a large road called "Bad Homburg Way".

So my entry in the Most Pointless Contest Contest is...

"To nominate the place name that sounds silliest to speakers of the
indigenous language".

And if this entry wins the contest contest, I thereafter nominate the
entry to the winning contest (after considering the village of "Velvet
Bottom" in Somerset and "Little Heck" in Yorkshire) to be "Bad Homburg
Way", in Exeter, Devon.

:)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/