LL-L "Language perception" 2007.12.23 (02) [E]

Sun Dec 23 20:54:10 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (05) [E]

> From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (04) [E]
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>
> >
> >     * Most convenient oral language at sub-zero temperatures
>
> Despite the fact, that your post was meant to be fun, I must say, that
> this is an interesting point ;-) We can trace the original home of the
> Indo-Europeans by words which are common through all Indo-European
> languages.  If I remember correctly,  the horse is one of those things
> which link all Indo-Europeans. But there are few agrarian terms common
> to the Indo-Europeans. So we know some things about the lifestyle of
> those people although we have no excavations or something like that.
> It would be interesting to know, whether the language of the Inuit is
> more 'close-mouthed' than the languages of pygmies who have lived for
> tens of thousands years near the equator. Seems a rather pointless bit

Having grown up speaking the central dialect of Scots and then gone on
to live in Wales and learn Welsh, I was at one time struck by a parallel
between Wales and the rest of Britain: in Scots we use a closed "o"
sound, while in English they use an open "o" sound; and then in southern
Welsh they use and open "o" sound while in northern Welsh they used a
closed "o". Did more northerly speakers tend to use more closed vowels
to conserve heat, I wondered? Further comparisons between Scots and
English vowels seem to support the theory. But in learning about other
Scots dialects I found that in more northerly dialects they do use an
open "o", and the whole thing unspooled  :)

I do think, though, that people speak differently when it's really cold:
more firm jaw, more tooth clenching, and less inhalation. Whether this
could affect language, I don't know. I'd guess that people know when
they're using modified speech and will revert right back to their usual
language when they get indoors or the weather gets better.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Contests
>
> with language. For instance, many people consider German "ugly" mostly
> because they have a blanket prejudice against Germans, and they find

English speakers who are familiar with the song "de Lorelei" seem to me
to strongly agree that "im Abendsonnenschein" is one of the most
beautiful phrases they've heard in any language. As well as flowing
beautifully, it has a resonance that's absent from the contest examples
given, which seem to depend entirely on avoiding everything other than
liquids. If this sort of contest caught on, then liquids would soon
become "so last year" and afficiandos would be looking for something
more phonetoclastic  :)

> As for me personally, a person proclaiming that a given language is
> beautiful or ugly signals that he or she is stuck on a superficial
> level.

But the contest is misnamed, isn't it? It doesn't compare languages, it
just compares phrases that occur in languages.

Phrases from Scots? Either:

"Aa ae oo."

or:

"It's a braw bricht muinlicht nicht the nicht."   :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/