LL-L "Names" 2007.12.23 (03) [E]

Sun Dec 23 21:05:41 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 December 2007 - Volume 03

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (04) [E]

In message
<57c981290712221547s77f6d9daxdfc0625d62e5432f at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> i.e. Sandy Fleming writes:

>So my entry in the Most Pointless Contest Contest is...
>
>"To nominate the place name that sounds silliest to speakers of the
>indigenous language".
>
>And if this entry wins the contest contest, I thereafter nominate the
>entry to the winning contest (after considering the village of "Velvet
>Bottom" in Somerset and "Little Heck" in Yorkshire) to be "Bad Homburg
>Way", in Exeter, Devon.

I like this contest!  I would wish to submit "Husbands Bosworth" and
(pulls out trump card) "Buttocks Booth".  Both in my home county of
Northamptonshire.
>..
Season's Greetings at the Year's Turning,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

----------

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (04) [E]

Sandy wrote

"So my entry in the Most Pointless Contest Contest is...

"To nominate the place name that sounds silliest to speakers of the
indigenous language".

Can I enter with the reverse? One that sounds fine to the native speaker but
for someone who knows a bit of Latin and English is v funny. It still makes
us giggle some 37 years later.

When I was first married we lived in North Wales. Next to our cottage was  a
bridge, which was called Mill Bridge in Welsh  i.e. Pont Felin

One day a large lorry tried to cross it and got stuck. In trying to reverse
back off the bridge, the driver managed to demolish one whole of one side!
The Police quickly closed the road and put up notices

DANGER     ROAD CLOSED     PONT FELIN

which of course is exactly what it had done: the Bridge "fell in" the river

Heather [Randall]
----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language attitudes" 2007.12.22 (01) [E]
"To nominate the place name that sounds silliest to speakers of the
indigenous language".

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Contest

   - Most misnamed language

1. I'll have to start searching Google Maps for some candidates Sandy!
2. English! Hardly any of its speakers are!  Spanish would run a close
second in that regard.

Paul Finlow-Bates