LL-L "Language perceptions" 2007.12.23 (04) [E]

Sun Dec 23 21:19:39 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 December 2007 - Volume 04

From: foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu
Subject: from snowy Minnesota, USA --RE: LL-L "Contests" 2007.12.22 (05) [E]

Hello Ron and Marcus and listers wherever you are,

    Thanks for the topic you've raised—beauty contests.  I've been
reflecting on beauty in human speech.  I teach English, but I love every
language.  It's true we can have favorites; but I find that some people, in
whatever language, are able to make their speech poetic; to play with their
words for the joy and love of speaking.  It's in those words that I find the
most beauty.  Like in Urdu, they play with "senseless" rhyming words that
are not in the dictionary. For example, the word '*teek'* means '*good*,'
but they say '*teek tock*' when they're really happy about something.  Also
in Spanish, they play with people's names when they really love someone.
Guadalupe becomes Lupe and then Lupita.  My very white Swedish sister-in-law
was raised near Mexico with this influence around her and calls her daughter
Delany, then Lanie, then Lanie Lou, then LouLou.  Get the pointless point?
Knowing how to share language in intimate play is really the most beautiful
thing.  We can all do that, if we try.  Shouldn't this contest focus on this
art of spreading poetic senseless joy?

   Oh, and about "closed-mouthed" speaking—here in Minnesota it's reasonable
in the winter, yes.  The cold bites you in the throat when you go outside.
But every spring, that changes... You can't keep things closed up for long
in any culture.  We are made for the love of each other. It's important to
fully develop this inner goodness. Yes, ethnic differences can create
prejudices (blinders) that make it harder to imagine how words can be
beautiful. We've all experienced rejection, and we are lucky if we can learn
to return evil with good. True beauty comes from inside; and yes, it is tied
up with this gift of speech. But it's a struggle. Some words really are
ugly. The point is to foster beauty—to practice adding love to speech.  In
and out of season, warm words add joy to life.  It's a universal gift, but
not everyone practices it artfully to the full. We forget how. Words are
more basic to humanity than the gift of fire, but we lose the ability to
play. We close down, imprison our words.  Perhaps that's why Christmas and
other celebrations of 'hidden inner light' come in the darkest time of the
year (in the north at least)—to remind us that the WORD we share is this
mostly unlikely miraculous gift—a light coming out of darkness. Words are
holy, and wholly human.  Let us practice the beauty of it.  It's not a
pointless exercise.  It's the most sacred and universal gift that humans can
give each other no matter how cold it is outside.

Wishing you peace (and warmth),

Gael Fonken

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language perceptions

Hello, Gael!

Welcome to Lowlands-L and its speakers' corner! I'm happy to see you here.

And peace and happy Christmas to you!