LL-L "Countdown" 2007.12.31 (02) [E]

Mon Dec 31 16:53:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Countdown

Dear Lowlanders,

As I'm writing this, 2008 has just reached East Asia and Western Australia,
while our friends in the rest of Australia and in the Western Pacific region
are beginning to simmer down and are sinking into New Year's slumber.

元日や
     反古も机も
     去年の儘

Ganjitu ya
        hogo mo tukue mo
                  kozo no mama
                                                    Matuo 松尾

Neejahrsdag vundaag'.
        Up d'n Disch Papeerschrapels
                  vun verläden Jahr

Nieuwjaarsdag vandaag.
        Op de tafel ligt papierafval
                  van't vorige jaar. (?)

Heute ist Neujahr.
        Auf dem Tisch Abfallpapier
                  vom vorigen Jahr.

New Year's Day today.
            On the desk there's wastepaper
                        from the year before.

Tick-tock, tick-tock ... Yes, it's the good old grandfather clock
approaching the last minute of 2007 at Greenwich, England. This is by when
the multitude (fat chance!) of song submissions are due. Tick-tock,
tick-tock ...

Brace yourselves, dear brethren and sistren! However meager the choice may
be, there will be an election for the best, though there will be no losers,
and all submissions will be exhibited, honored, enjoyed and admired and ...
gleefully chirped. If lyrics without a tune are chosen, then there will be
another competition: to choose a tune. Finally, one would hope that at least
one person steps forward (and we have a number of definitely eligible ones,
and they know who they are) to produce a sung and recorded version. More
details here: lowlands-l.net/contest/

Happy New Year to all of you, and many thanks not only for keeping
Lowlands-L alive but also for keeping it lively, vibrant, informative and
pleasant!