LL-L "History" 2007.12.31 (01) [E]

Mon Dec 31 15:17:53 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 December 2007 - Volume 01

From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.12.30 (02) [E]

*From: Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" [E]*
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

"Hi, Heinrich!

In Berlin?! Have you relocated or are you traveling?

Indeed! What a blotch on Brunswick's history! Might that be a reason why it
lost its status as a "free state"?

In fact, Brunswick was one of the major nests of Nazidom. The local Nazi
elite succeeded where others had failed: to get Hitler some sort of state
position, which at that time would have made him automatically eligible for
German citizenship (rather than the other way around). First they failed
because H. was being his usual jerk and drama queen. Then they secured for
him a job in the city's surveying department. Naturalization took place just
in time for the election ... and the rest is history. Hadn't he been in jail
in Germany (where he wrote *Mein Kampf*), and didn't that make him
ineligible anyway?

Well, I heard that early in 2007 Isolde Saalmann, a Social Democrat
politician of Brunswick, moved that that citizenship be revoked ... "as a
symbolic gesture." A lot of good that'd do! "Oh ... uh ... Sorry! Never mind
that mistake seventy or eighty years ago! We'll correct it now so as to make
our city's record nice and clean again. All right, Austria, you can have him
back now." Whatever happened on that score?

Regards,
Reinhard/Ron"

*Reinhard, *

*Does that mean we have to give Beethoven back? Anyway, pass us back that
National Anthem while you're at it…  ;-)*

*Dan*

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ah! Look at whom this dragged out of the shadows of lurkdom!

Hi, Dan!

*Does that mean we have to give Beethoven back?*

Why? Was he a naughty boy then?

*Guten Rutsch!*