LL-L "History" 2007.12.30 (02) [E]

Mon Dec 31 06:18:34 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 December 2007 - Volume 02

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2007.12.29 (05) [E]

From: Luc Hellinckx < luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Ben,

You wrote:
> I just recently rediscovered a CD from the Luftwaffenmusikkorps. It's
> old "German" marches, one of which I heard on a History Channel show
> about the Nazis! YeeYoishch! Anyway, one of the marches was called
> "Herzog von Braunshweig". I looked up Braunschweig on the godsend that
> is http://www.wikipedia.org <http://www.wikipedia.org/ >, and it said
> that that area is in the Lowlands of northern germany in the southeast
> of Lower Saxony State. Hence came my question. What lowlands
> dialect(s)/language(s) would be spoken down around Brunswick?

Talking 'bout Nazis, guess they didn't talk so much Platt (I could be
wrong), even though the Volkswagen headquarters are in Wolfsburg, which
is only 25 km northeast of Braunschweig:

Dear all,

            I am still alive – in Berlin!

            With everything told about Braunschweig (Brunswick) and its
historical and cultural role in Europe, I agree.

There is still somewhat left to add. The sadest decision ever made in
Brunswick's younger history was the naturalisation of Adolf Hitler in 1932.
Before he had no connections to Brunswick, With the support of local
authorities here, his nationality was converted from an Austrian in to a
German, which others had refused until that moment. With this decision the
gate was opened to the catastrophy coming up…….

From this important place a better 2008 to all Lowlanders and Members of the
list.

Heinrich Becker
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Hi, Heinrich!

In Berlin?! Have you relocated or are you traveling?

Indeed! What a blotch on Brunswick's history! Might that be a reason why it
lost its status as a "free state"?

In fact, Brunswick was one of the major nests of Nazidom. The local Nazi
elite succeeded where others had failed: to get Hitler some sort of state
position, which at that time would have made him automatically eligible for
German citizenship (rather than the other way around). First they failed
because H. was being his usual jerk and drama queen. Then they secured for
him a job in the city's surveying department. Naturalization took place just
in time for the election ... and the rest is history. Hadn't he been in jail
in Germany (where he wrote *Mein Kampf*), and didn't that make him
ineligible anyway?

Well, I heard that early in 2007  Isolde Saalmann, a Social Democrat
politician of Brunswick, moved that that citizenship be revoked ... "as a
symbolic gesture." A lot of good that'd do! "Oh ... uh ... Sorry! Never mind
that mistake seventy or eighty years ago! We'll correct it now so as to make
our city's record nice and clean again. All right, Austria, you can have him
back now." Whatever happened on that score?

***
"Wullt all hoog ruut," seggt de Schooster, jüst as 'n Luus up sien Hoot
krüppt.
"They all aim for high places," says the shoemaker just as a louse crawls
onto his hat.
(Low Saxon humoristically extended proverb)